Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

My Delonghi coffee machine has gone wrong - when I press

Customer Question

Hello My Delonghi coffee machine has gone wrong - when I press the button for a bean to cup the beans are ground but the hot water comes out of the steam pipe instead. I notice that the steam knob is much looser that it was. Would it work if I bought another steam Knob please?
Rita
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am Tech Michael a specialist expert in this field and I will be assisting you today. I am a Master Technician that's dedicated to giving you the best Answer possible.If you are new to the site, this is briefly how it works:1. We may need some back and forth to exchange information (if needed) and there is no extra cost for replying.2. I will give you the best possible Answer for your problem without the ability of actually being present with you.The better you describe the problem, the quicker I can help ;-)3. Remember to leave a Positive Rating ,it doesn't cost anything additional to rate kindly;-)I am only credited for my time and expertise if you rate kindly.How old is your coffee maker?Also did the loose knob seem to happen at the same time this fault began?Thank youTech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Michael
Its been happening on and off for week or 2 but today 5 times it filled the cup with water from the steam nozzle then once with coffee from the usual place. The problem is it is using beans up every time.
The steam Knob usually has quite a lot of tension to turn it but not now - I didnt notice exactly when this started. The coffee maker is about 2 years old but has had light use.
If you think its worth replacing the steam knob I will or is it the valve behind the knob?
Rita
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi thanks for the info. The problem is more than likely only a bad seam valve.If it leaks you will get the problem you have .Its fairly easy to replace the steam valve if you are handy I will help you do that.You will save a a lot of money if you do this one yourself.The best place to get that part (its a kit) is :http://www.4delonghi.co.uk/In any case, I will stick with you until this is complete.Please rate kindly thus far, it won't cost you anything to rate my service to you kindly,There is NO cost to rate Kindly;-)But it is the only way I am credited for my time and expertise in this field.Then you can reach me by simply replying to this message anytime.Thank you and have a nice Sunday!Tech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Again
Thats great I will replace the steam valve can you tell me if this is the correct part please? If you can copy and paste it into your browser and have a look I would be very grateful
http://www.4delonghi.co.uk/magnifica/esam4200/solenoid-valve-steam/product.pl?pid=1224806&path=606454,640999&model_ref=566716
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi YES it is ;-)I will stick with you all the way but please rate kindly now so I can send you a reply on how to reach me here once you have the part.Thanks and have a wonderful day!Tech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Shall I order a new knob as well just in case
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi I would, it cant hurt ;-)But its really not needed.Tech Mike
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you they are arriving tomorrow can I contact you to help me fit it
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi Yes I will be here to help you;-)Tech Mike
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Micheal
I have taken the side panels and the back off the coffee machine and located the valve which unfortunately looks slightly different to the new valve. I have attached a photo showing the original valve above and the new one below which has a bend in the arm. is it the correct part of do we need to replace it? We think it could still be slotted into the pipe though do you? I tried to attach a photo but the message didnt sent can I do this by email please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
photo attached?
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi I got the pic. I think thats the one. I hope they sent the correct replacement for this. Let me kno wif it fits?Thanks Tech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But this ones got a bend in the arm? Shall we just bend the pipe in?
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi you can do that provided it doesn't get a kink in it. If it wont work correctly I would advise returning that part for the correct one.Keep in mind, they sometimes will sub a part like this that is similar and will work as well;-)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Micheal
We changed it and its still spilling water from the steam pipe - the knob mechanism makes a funny noise and is very loose we will try to change that do you know what its called please
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi, does it sound the same as before the valve change? or different now?And Im not sure what part you are referring, I think the manual steam valve.Thats what I wanted you to to replace from the start;-(When I entered that address you sent a while back, I saw the manual valve stem assembly. They also sell that part and the repair kit for them.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Michael yes it sounds the same - I will order the part have managed to identify it. They are only cheep.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi sounds good.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well Michael weve changed the manual steam valve successfully put it back together and when its switched on there is only one light one the empty beans light - and it wont switch off.
The diffuser is locked in the top position and I cant get it out. Any chance for us now?
Thank
Rita
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi Im not sure what you disturbed, but check all the wiring clips to be sure they are secure and in place;-) Make sure the unit is UNPLUGGED!Thanks Let me know how it goes?Tech Michael
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Also make sure there is no moisture near the circuit board.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
You can use a blow dryer to dry any up if there is any?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We got water all over the place! I have used a hair dryer but perhaps if we leave it open to dry out. checking the clips - AMATEURS!
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
LOL!Ok, let it air dry 24 hours after blow drying. The unit is shorted out for now but may dry up eventually so it will work correctly now lol.Keep me informed, even a tiny bit of moisture on any of the electronics especially the board will cause this not not work.Tech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well we did it!
I cant tell you how many times we took it apart and put it together again?
One thing was do you know when they send these part out they dont have the tiny rubber washers in them, we fell for that with both parts then had to take it apart get the washer out of the old part and put it all together again.
Im glad we did it as its saved us buying a new machine - but it has taken up days, we sort of went so far we had to carry on!!!
I wouldnt hesitate in the future though - lets call it recycling?
Thank you for your help
Rita xx
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi Thats AWESOME!Pretty soon you can be a coffee maker repair technician lol! Sorry you had so much trouble but thats what us as mechanics go through ;-)Have a wonderful weekend! Tech Michael