Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

Our Maytag LSE7806GGE just made a grinding noise and

Customer Question

Our Maytag LSE7806GGE just made a nasty grinding noise and started smoking. It was in the rinse cycle.
HELP!
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 1 year ago.
Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries - OK has it been getting noisy these last days?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Ian. Yes - has been developing a bit of noise recently - nothing alarming, though - occasional belt-slip noise when starting spin of towels/heavy cottons. Today, it squealed and made grinding noise, and stopped. When we went to investigate, smoke was coming out around the lid. Powered off and waited 15 minutes, then moved cycle dial to spin, and turned back on - no spin, no drain (also, no smoke) I have manually drained the drum (using water level cutoff pipe) as far as possible. Moving the pump belt causes the drum to turn.
OK since we are not quite sure at this point what caused the problem, the first thing that I would do is take the two belts off and see if the drive motor will spin if you put it onto spin with no connections to pump or agitator. The smoke could be either the motor burning out or belt slipping. come back to me when you've had a look.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Ian - I tired a quick experiment; selected a wash cycle - small/cold/short - drum started to fill; switched to rinse stage for 5 secs - motor spins, pump and drive belts go, but it sounds like the clutch bearing may have failed - loud metallic grinding, although agitator moves and drum turns; same when starting from spin stage. Since the machine is a stacked top loader, all the belts are underneath. Wanted to check the motor was OK before hauling it out and starting to remove bits.
Yes sound like it, I was more concerned to check the motor first as this was going to be more financially. Looks like the clutch assembly comes in one unit so should be fairly easy to fit, Unfortunately as you say its a get down and dirty job. Have fun, if you need a link to the parts list let me know and I'll send it across. In the meantime would you kindly rate the information given by using the star rating system at the top of the page, once done you can come back to me for further help at any time on free of charge basis. Im here most days. Once again thank you for using JA and have fun. Ian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Ian - good to know I'm on the right (and hopefully less expensive) track. Any recommendations for maytag/Amana/whirlpool parts suppliers in UK?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ian, just to let you know - when I properly disconnected the pump and drive mechanism, after moving the machine out, it became obvious that the problem really was the motor ... however, get great service and a good price (for in-country stock, delivered next day, at least) from GRPPS in Kent. swapped over without incident, and all running smooth again.
Glad you got it sorted, keep in touch - Ian