Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

I have an upright freeze,r Hotpoint FZM 151 xx, 2.5 years

Customer Question

Hi!
I have an upright freeze,r Hotpoint FZM 151 xx, 2.5 years old. It defrosted at christmas loosing everything and with all the control lights flashing, the superfreeze, the power indicator and warning indicator. The Temperature knob was turned off and the unit was plugged out. 24 hours later it was tried again and it started and worked but all the lights are still flashing. Can you help? Thanks.
paddy reeves
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi Paddy, I am Tech Michael a specialist expert in this field and I will be assisting you today. I am a Master Technician that's dedicated to giving you the best Answer possible.If you are new to the site, this is briefly how it works:1. We may need some back and forth to exchange information (if needed) and there is no extra cost for replying.2. I will give you the best possible Answer for your problem without the ability of actually being present with you.The better you describe the problem, the quicker I can help ;-)3. Remember to leave a Positive Rating ,it doesn't cost anything additional to rate kindly;-)I am only credited for my time and expertise if you rate kindly.How old is your freezer?Is it holding its temp correctly now? I Know the display isn't working properly. Thank youTech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A] The unit is 2.5 years old.B] It is set at the recommended setting {half way] and appears to be holding.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi thanks for that info, have you tried resetting the unit to stop the flashing clock?That will tell me if there is a component failure or a setting issue ;-)Also do you have the user manual for this unit? Or maybe need one?Thank youTech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Michael,
The amount of information on the unit in the manual is scant! there is no information on how to reset it.
What has been done is explained in my question after that the manual just tells you to go to customer service which is , simply put, a cash point for the manufacturer.
Paddy
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi Paddy, thanks for all that.I agree with you.. This one is supposed to reset automatically which clearly isn't happening here. This means unfortunately the fridge needs a new control board.Its super easy to change out with just a few basic hand tools needed. I will help you when you have the board. It is called the main control board.The best place to get a new board is: http://www.spareparts.ie/shop/shop/Fridge-Freezer.90/Hotpoint-m5But I would call them for this part as they dont list all parts on site ;-)Please call: +353 1(###) ###-####/(###) ###-####/(###) ###-####In any case, I will stick with you until this is complete.Please rate kindly thus far, it won't cost you anything to rate my service to you kindly,There is NO cost to rate Kindly;-)But it is the only way I am credited for my time and expertise in this field.Then you can reach me by simply replying to this message anytime.Thank you and have a nice day!Tech Michael Appliance Spares Garden & Outdoor
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 1 year ago.
Paddy, Unfortunately my college Michael from the USA has got this completely wrong, this appliance whilst using a PCB must have the pcb programmed by a smart card reader or have an a Hotpoint engineer reprogram it on site with his specialized laptop. If you buy the pcb part number C00260750 you will find that the appliance will not work at all. The pcb that you have in situ may possibly be reprogrammed as the Eprom may have just become corrupted. I hope this has been helpful and allow you to understand how the system works. ie its electronic/electrical operation.
Experience: I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dales-Electronic,
I appreciated your answer as I find it applies to a lot of electrical items these days, a new method of " how to get more money" from the customer. At this point I do think I have to get a maintenance man with the relative computer programme to check the pcb. but the unit is working again.
Thanks for your help and I will be back to you if I run into any more trouble
Paddy.
A pleasure, if it is working OK I would leave it as this particular range is notorious for shutting down for the stupidest of reasons. Usually a reset can resolve the issue. One of the biggest problems with them is the freezer area freezing up the ducts that supply the air to the fridge. Despite what Hotpoint would have you believe this is not a totally frost free appliance. If you decide to get a maintenance man out make sure he has the necessary equipment to do the job if he needs to procure it it will cost you more that the value of the f/freezer. Typically the equipment is around £200 - in this case (not often I recommend them) it would be cheaper to get Hotpoint out pay a bit more but get their 12 after repair warranty thrown in.