Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

Whirlpool AZA97951 Heat pump tumble dryer no heat

Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 1 year ago.
First things first, when the heat pump runs do you feel any heat at the heat exchanger hot air output?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dale,
Simply no. Great flow as expected and the vapouriser feels cold and getting colder. the heat exchanger as you describe is the last set of vanes prior to the exit of the air and this does not get hot. I would have expected a conventional system to have an electrical heating exchanger but this being created by pressure loss and increases to effect the temperature means this has no electrical input. I have attached a photo incase you need to see what I am looking at. Sorry thought I had one of the cover off.
These heatpump dryers are renowned for their heatpump sections failing, notoriously slow in drying and poor write ups. If you have no heat from the heatpump then the clothes cannot be heated to the point where the moisture can be evaporated into vapour/steam collected in the condenser and then pumped into the water container. It sounds like your heatpump has no refrigerant in it or the compressor is faulty despite it running. Unfortunately the heatpump assembly comes as a one piece assembly at about £300 plus. If the heatpump is running but not heating the air, that is the problem, thermal fuses only go if the thing is actually getting some heat above the set value.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would also assume as there are no fault indications from the 6th sense indicators and that the pump / compressor is running but no heat is being produced that the machine think all is OK. How much heat is expected from the heat pump?
The refrigerant should be full as this is a sealed unit and the machine is only just over 12 months old. I would not have expected this to be a refillable system and I would imagine that it would be under pressure and would require a charging point if this was the case.
That is half the problem, there is a massive shortage of qualified fridge engineers to do this type of stuff so many of the manufacturers just decided to do a sealed system, the problem is most refrigeration systems leak at some stage and the time angle doesn't come into it. To be honest not sure what the exact output is but bearing in mind that you have a five year parts warranty it would perhaps be an idea just to pay for a service call and and get them to fix it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would have expected a water glycol mix to leave a coloured stain if it leaked but nothing found. I don't believe I have that warranty only 12 months which expired in December. I have tried to source a new pump through Whirlpool and they are looking into it!!!! I will also call them and ask about a good faith replacement. Maybe I should branch out from my engineering background to tumble dryers.
I would expect them to be using Refrigerant R134a in this not water/ammonia two much hassle with those two.
Well Whirlpool are looking for engineers they have an estimated 4.1 million tumble dryer recall to deal with at the moment.
Would you now kindly rate the information given by selecting from the star rating system at the top of the page. Once done all further queries are free of charge. Thank You for using JA and have a nice day.