How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Daniel Your Own Question
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 15965
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
Daniel is online now

My Panasonic microwave oven Model no NN-ST479S has failed .There

Resolved Question:

My Panasonic microwave oven Model no NN-ST479S has failed .There is no current and I can not make it work. Please help.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
If the microwave has nothing coming on then the internal fuse inside the microwave has blown.
Now if you are looking at fixing this yourself then not sure if you know about microwaves but they can hold up to 4500v even when unplugged so when you remove the outer casing you must discharge the high voltage capacitor before touching anything in there.
Once the capacitor is discharged look on the circuit board and you will see a small fuse on there. Test this and if faulty you will need to replace it.
Fingers crossed its just the fuse that's caused this and it will be fine.
But if after replacing the fuse it blows again as soon as you start it then theres a fault in there.
Now this can be a number of things. Either the magnetron, transformer, high voltage capacitor or diode. You need a multi meter to test all them but some of the parts like the diode need a megger to test.
Microwaves are not the easyist thing to fix if you don't know them as theres quite a lot of parts that can fail and cause the fuse to blow so you need to test them all.
But to be honest with you if it anything other then just the fuse then its proberly not worth it as you are looking at around £100+ for some of the parts so you can get a new one cheaper.
But check the interal fuse first if you are able to but please remember to discharge the high voltage capacitor before touching anything in there.
If you need anymore info just get back to me.
Daniel and other Appliance Specialists are ready to help you

Related Appliance Questions