Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

My IKEA Whirlpool DWH B00 is about 8 years old. It stopped

Customer Question

Hello. My IKEA Whirlpool DWH B00 is about 8 years old. It stopped during a cycle (before washing), failed to drain, started bleeping and blinking (4 flashes). I cleaned the filter, removed some dirt from the water and tried to restart it. Same thing. I switched the machine off and tried again. Same thing, no draining, 4 flashes. Can you help? Thanks in advance. Sami
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am Tech Michael a specialist expert in this field and I will be assisting you today. I am a Master Technician that's dedicated to giving you the best Answer possible.If you are new to the site, this is briefly how it works:1. We may need some back and forth to exchange information (if needed) and there is no extra cost for replying.2. I will give you the best possible Answer for your problem without the ability of actually being present with you.The better you describe the problem, the quicker I can help ;-)3. Remember to leave a Positive Rating ,it doesn't cost anything additional to rate kindly;-)I am only credited for my time and expertise if you rate kindly.You have this listed as a washer is it a dishwasher instead?Also can I have any other #'s on the model ? Also does it get a lot of use? Thank youTech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Michael, it's a dishwasher made by Whirlpool and sold by IKEA. The model is DWH B00. I have no other information on it. It's used nearly every day.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Thanks you had it listed as a washer lol, but I got it ;-)Your problem is a drain error.Please watch this lousy video, it explains how to fix this problem;-)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4I7we58NrEIn any case, I will stick with you until this is complete.Please rate kindly thus far, it won't cost you anything to rate my service to you kindly,There is NO cost to rate Kindly;-)But it is the only way I am credited for my time and expertise in this field.Then you can reach me by simply replying to this message anytime.Thank you and have a nice day!Tech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. Before I start struggling to get the machine out, empty and on its back, I want to make sure that this is indeed the problem. I read on a forum that the 4 flashes can be triggered by various problems, including a blocked pump as in this video. I am not certain that that is my problem, because the last time I tried to restart the machine, it did pump out the water left over from the previous, interrupted, cycle.By the way, I noticed that there were several biggish and semihard pieces of gunk floating in the water, which I removed. I hoped that would solve the problem, but it didn't. I also tried switching the power off from the machine for 15 minutes and restarting it again, but that didn't make any difference either. Then I also tried cleaning the grille in the sump (at 3 o'clock) with a toothbrush. Didn't help either.So can I be reasonably sure that there's something in the pump?
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi, This is typically caused by a stuck pump.But yes it can also be caused by a drain line blockage. One of those two reasons for this error. It can also be that the pump is burned out, but its doubtful. In any case, once you try that and check the drain lines for a blockage the machine should be fine.I would also remove the drain line from under the sink and let it drain into a large pot after you do the first steps outlined to fix this one;-)Please rate kindly so I can stick with you, there is no cost for you to do that.ThanksTech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks again. We're making progress, I think. I assume the drain line is the grey PVC pipe.My next challenge will be to remove the machine, which is built in. Any pointers on how best to do that?
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi sounds good, not really sure on your particular buit in situation but it should just pull out once you lift it up abut 2 inches;-)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, Mike. I hope I don't screw up.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi Im sure you will be fine lol, besides I am here for you all the way please rate so I can put you on my priority list, once you rate, I will send you an e mail here so you know how to reach me ;-)ThanksTech Mike
Michael, Customer Service
Experience: I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many hours later... It was not clear to me from the lousy video that I had to open the lower front part of the machine. I tried to open the lower back part and ultimately failed. Then I opened the correct section, found the pump, opened it and found nothing except a smidgin of dirt, which I wiped away. I doubt whether I was able to close the pump properly again. It was hard to open, but it's now very easy. So I still don't know what caused the machine to malfunction and now definitely need a repair man. I am very disappointed, but will pay the 28 euro fee. Thanks for trying to help.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi I suspect, as I mentioned its very possible that motor has failed, burned out as they will over time.I wish I had better news for you on this but I'm pretty sure the pump needs to be replaced. i can help it you would like? please let me know on that?Thank youTech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I guess it is possible, but I hesitate to spend any more money on an 8-year old machine that wasn't top quality to begin with. Maybe it's time to get a new machine and have the old one removed when the new one is delivered. A salesman in a shop said all dish washers basically do the same thing, so one shouldn't expect one to wash better than the other. The differences are in the drying, the electricity and water they consume, ease of use and durability. Do you agree?
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi lo,, yes I do agree on this. So you are correct as far as I'm concerned;-) I wish you the best in your dishwasher shopping!Tech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi anytime ;-)