Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I've just moved into a new house that has a Baumatic gas

Hi. I've just moved into a new house that has a Baumatic gas hob and when the gas is turned down to as low as it can go there is still a large flame and food is getting burnt. Is there anything that may need replaced or serviced to reduce the heat and flame size?
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Does this happen on all of the burners or just one?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is the same on all 4 burners. I've just read that the burners may need adjusted under the control knobs. Could that be a possibility?
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Ok I don't suppose you have the model number of the hob do you?
Is this brand new?
Also I take it from what you say its running on LPG gas?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have the model number sorry. The previous occupants left all the instructions for every other appliance in the house apart from the gas hob. It runs off propane gas bottles if that is LPG? And no it's not brand new and not sure how old it is either.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Ok to be honest this sounds like it has the natural gas jets in the burners still rather then LPG which is the propane bottled gas you are using. As if it was just one of them then maybe its a fault on the hob thermocouple but for all of them to do this it sounds like the jets haven't been replaced when it was transferred from natural gas. When you change a hob to LPG which is what you are using the jets in the burners need to be replaced. As if you don't you get this problem were the flame is to big and you cannot control the heat. What you need to do is change the jets in the burners. Remove all the burner caps and in the centre of each burner is a nut. These are the jets and they need to be replaced with LPG jets and that should cure it from there. Theres no adjustments of the control knob on hobs anymore. This used to be on very old ones were modern hobs don't have this. Replace the jets with LPG jets and im sure that will cure it from there.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
I see the question is still open. Do you still need anymore help on this?
If not then if you could remember to rate the answer that would be great.
Many thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi sorry I've been busy the past couple of days and not got back on this. I managed to get the burners adjusted through the control knobs. This must be an older cooker as it had the adjusting screws down the middle of the shaft. Thanks anyway for your help.