Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

DeLonghi Type DEM10 dehumidifier will not switch off. I have

DeLonghi Type DEM10 dehumidifier will not switch off. I have tested the water tank micro switch which is working OK.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am Tech Michael a specialist expert in this field and I will be assisting you today. I am a Master Technician that's dedicated to giving you the best Answer possible.If you are new to the site, this is briefly how it works:1. We may need some back and forth to exchange information (if needed) and there is no extra cost for replying.2. I will give you the best possible Answer for your problem without the ability of actually being present with you.The better you describe the problem, the quicker I can help ;-)3. Remember to leave a Positive Rating ,it doesn't cost anything additional to rate kindly;-)I am only credited for my time and expertise if you rate kindly.How old is your DEM10 dehumidifier?Also does it get a lot of use?Please explain, does it not stop as it should during normal operations?Or can you not witch it off by pressing the button on the unit? Thank youTech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Michael. My DeLonghi dehumidifier is approximately 10 years old. It first displayed the problem I am trying to fix about 5 years ago, and has been hiding in a corner until yesterday. During its use period, I would estimate that it only ran for approximately 100 hours, and this is born out by the condition of the machine, which is as new ( I have it in pieces). I use it on our boat during Winter lay up to reduce condensation.
The machine fan now starts up as soon as I put power to the machine, regardless of where the humidistat is set.(No warning lights are on, and the reservoir switch is functioning correctly) If I then rotate the humidistat it finds the ambient point at which it wants to operate, and the green light comes on sometimes also the compressor starts, and sometimes it doesn't. It will then run until I try and stop it, which I can't do with the humidistat. If I randomly turn the humidistat, sometimes the compressor will stop but leaving the fan running. All rather odd. Any suggestions? Regards Mel.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi Thanks Mel,Does the compressor also run at that time or no?And can you set it to where the compressor and fan both run?That will tell em a lot. Thanks Mel.Tech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fan will already be running from power up, then compressor sometimes will start up coincident with the green light coming on, by rotating the humidistat. So yes, it is possible to get them both to run together but it is not consistent. Assuming I have got the compressor to run, I can then turn it off by turning the humidistat in an anti clockwise direction, with the fan stopping momentarily, but then starting up again after 1 second pause.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi Mel, thanks for that info. The problem is the control board. It will need to be replaced, either the relay that runs the fan is shorted or mechanically fused inside now or the SCR or tiac has failed. Those are impossible to find as they used odd ones on that board so the only way to fix this one is to replace the main control board.The best place to get that part would be: http://www.ereplacementparts.com/delonghi-dehumidifier-parts-c-122345_122357.html would call them for this part to be sure they send you the correct one ;-)Phone:(###) ###-####on-Fri 8am - 10pm ESTSat-Sun 7am - 11pm EST In any case, I will stick with you until this is complete.Please rate kindly thus far, it won't cost you anything to rate my service to you kindly,There is NO cost to rate Kindly;-) EXCELLENT (5 Stars) would be greatly appreciated.But it is the only way I am credited for my time and expertise in this field.Then you can reach me by simply replying to this message anytime.Thank you and have a nice day Mel!Tech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Michael. You are referring to the PCB when you say control board, yes?
I have looked at these for availability here in England, and they refer to a 4 or 6 pin. Looking at the pictures it would seem to be the 4 pin. Am I correct?
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi Mel, yep.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
4 pin ;-)Please remember to rate as its the only way I am credited for my time and expertise with you.No cost to you for a kind rating ;-)Thank you Mel.Tech Michael