George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

I have a whirlpool stove model # ***** the digital display

Customer Question

i have a whirlpool stove model # ***** the digital display randomly blinks off and on for no apparent reason. Its a problem because when it goes off any settings in it reset so if you are baking and it blinks off the oven stops working (bad news if your cake is not done). I ordered a replacement display and put it in. It worked for a while maybe a couple weeks then just went blank and won't come back on. I had kept the old one from before and when I plug that it, it works fine.
My question is should i assume that the stove is fine and i just have two bad display units or should i investigate the wiring in the stove?
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is George..
I have seen problems like this on many clocks/timers and normally the appliances are in good order.. This is usually when the timer cuts power to the whole oven; replacing the timer normally cures the problem.
Sometimes I have been able to fix the problem by replacing the large grey or yellow capacitors at the input side of the clock, however on a lot of occasions this has not corrected the problem and a new timer has been required.
Kindly be patient whilst awaiting any responses from me as I'm not constantly available.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi George just to get some clarification, replacing the timer is the same as replacing the entire panel or did you mean replacing the timer portion of the circuit board?
I had to replace the complete timer/clock unit
It is best to utilise secondhand parts as the parts for these American cookers are extremely expensive to buy new
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I just want to be clear because I bought a refurbished clock unit and it only worked for about 3 weeks before going completely dead. Am I to assume a faulty part?
I would say so... Better buy secondhand rather than refurbished... refurbished implies the unit has already had a fault , where as secondhand has always been working and is just reclaimed from an otherwise damaged cooker.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I could only find refurbished units. Any ideas where I can look for secondhand units online?
I get mine by buying full cookers from auction houses and government liquidation houses.
Try the likes of www.govliquidation.com
I've just been to have a look.. They had a few back in 2014 LOOK HERE
but I don't see that they have any at the moment...
Auction houses are the best place to search.. Try ebay