Plumberpro
Plumberpro, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Heating and hot water heating appliances experienced
77408428

My Valliant ecotec plus 428 has never really ben reliable it

Customer Question

my Valliant ecotec plus 428 has never really ben reliable it has been serviced from new and is about 3 years old. The house radiators have a mind of their own when heat is being called for. I know they take some time to warm up due to the condensing process. Problem is sometimes they are luke warm, stone cold or not so often hot. The radiator in the hall where the thermostate is is cold most of the time as is other radiators then for no reason they occassionally heat up. The thermostate does send signals to the boiler but the house never gets anywhere near temperature. My builder says his Valliant was useless and he resolved a similiar problem by putting in a low loss header radiator. The valliant engineers had told him to put in a better pump which he did but didn't resolve his problems. There was a circuit board that can improve the situation I am told not typically supplied. The boiler engineer who recently serviced the boiler also said the low loss header might be the way forward he is due to visit on Friday. I am questioning how a top brand boiler can be so problematic
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Hi , its rarely the boiler, but most often sludge in the system pipework, especially if it was a new boiler on an old system . Or it may be undersized pipework. Also it can be wrongly balanced radiators ., ie one valve used for turning on an off ,one side to balance the system.the radiators nearest the pump need balancing down to almost closed pushing the output to the radiators at the end of runsHowever if you have over 9 radiators it might be worth going to a higher kilowatt boiler ,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Already have the nearest radiator to boiler turned down to restrict flow and previously when balancing initially opened top ones only to start balancing system. I will get the system power flushed and perhaps we can resume this after the result.
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Ok.top radiators usually need to be restricted too as the heat will push up there by convection..all the best