Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I am trying to understand why my whirlpool fridge freezer is

I am trying to understand why my whirlpool fridge freezer is not producing ice and is flashing on the control panel. We removed the ice bucket to defrost it and ever since putting it back in place no ice has been produced. We have checked the connection etc and followed the handbook instructions.
We also replaced the water filter, and ever since the control panel has continually flashed. We have tried resetting etc but to no avail.
can you help?
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 12 months ago.
Can you post the model number please.
Also when you say its flashing on the panel whats flashing?
Is it all the lights flashing?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Not sure of the model number. No number of the handbook or machine i can see other than Whirlpool. It must be at least 7 years old. Its a dual door whirlpool fridge freezer (fridge on right and freezer of left).
The control panel is on the left door just above the icemaker and water dispenser. On here are temp numbers -ice maker symbols and water rset symbols. All these lights are rapidly flashing.
Ok if you have them lights flashing then this is a control board fault. This is a very common fault on these side by side whirlpool fridges.
Now if you are handy with a soldering iron then you can actually repair this as its a faulty capacitor on there that causes it.
What you need to do is remove the front control board. To do this remove the drip tray and you will see 2 screws. Remove these and then you can remove the front control unit.
Then you can remove the control board and inspect the componments on there and look for a capacitor that has a swelled top. Replace that capacitor and that should cure it.
If they all look fine on there then its going to be the main control board at the back.
Pull the appliance out and remove the metal cover and theres a plastic box on the far right. Remove this and open it up and do the same on there and inspect the capacitors on there and replace the fault ones. It can sometimes be more then one that's failed.
Then once that's done turn it back on and see how it goes from there. As this can also stop the ice maker from working as well so check them and see what you find and let me know.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
OKay.Thank you. That may take a little time and i don;t have any spare capacitors here but will try and see if that is the problem. Why might that be the case when i changed the filter. Could there be a connection?
Changing the filter wont have caused this as it has nothing to do with the electronics.
So if the lights started flashing just after that then its more likely a coincidence this as happened at the same time im afraid.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Okay. That you. I'll try and see if i can see the capacitors. If it is a capacitor is it something a) i can buy easily from say B&Q and b) i Can change easily?
I don't think you can get them from B&Q. But you will get them from maplins as they will see them. Or Ebay as to be honest that's were I get them from.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Okay. Thank you. Are they a standard Item or do i need to look for a code on the part in the machine?
It depends on which one has failed.
If you look at the side of them it will tell you the rating of it. As all capacitors are different sizes.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Okay. Thank you.