Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

Advice on changing a Whirlpool ARK 689 1X Extractor hood m

Customer Question

Advice on changing a Whirlpool ARK 689 1X Extractor hood motor?
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 1 year ago.
Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries - before we start to strip the unit down what makes you think that the motor is faulty?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does not work! The person present said she heard a load pop type bang and both bulbs also blew! A budding electrician had a quick look and said it was likely the motor caused a short and a electrical surge blew the bulbs!
Whats odd it did not blow any household fuses! The only other parts might be the circuit board or motor switch! I am not on site as its one of my rental properties 70 miles away! The house and Extractor is 6 years old and not extensively used as only occupied by one elderly lady for last 4 years.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not load but "Loud"
Unfortunately your initial statement seemed to indicate that the motor was faulty when in fact it could be anything at this stage. Best thing your budding electrician should learn is not to guess in future - it usually causes you to get electrocuted.
Much more likely that it was the bulbs that blew and took a track off the circuit board. I would be taking the pcb out (power off) and checking for damage there firstly.