Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

Good morning helpful technician. We have a Siemens Fridge

Customer Question

Good morning helpful technician.
We have a Siemens Fridge Freezer KG40U20GB/01 (15years old)
The freezer is still working perfectly but the fridge temperature keeps falling and rising from 6 to 11 degrees in a cycle. Maybe due to the built in defrost cycle.
We have replaced the sensor and thermostat with new parts.
We have tested the heater element and the fan inside the freezer compartment which blows the cold air into the fridge compartment and these both work.
We now believe that it must be the defrost timer which is at fault, not switching the circuit on and off to cause the fan to kick back in after the element which defrosts has switched off.
So in short the fan to cool the fridge from the cold air in the freezer is not comming on.
Would you advise that we replace the defrost timer?
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 1 year ago.
Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries - OK perhaps we can do this an item at a time whilst I give you an overview, you have two printed circuit boards in the appliance, the control board at the top and the power board at the bottom. The power board controls the switching operation whilst the control board feeds commands to power board. The defrost unit will be built on the power board (£144) Now you say that you have had the heater checked out - how was this done was it just tested using a multimeter or actually connected to the supply to see it heat up? Secondly there are two heaters in this appliance, which one was tested? Have you also checked that the flow and return air ducts are not frozen up or blocked?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Ian...This was really helpful.
At last my husband can stop fretting that it would be cheap and sensible to try fixing it himself and we can just buy a new one, as it is clearly going to take a lot more time and money to continue.
My husband is a very clever chap, but not always wise once hes got the bit between his teeth...bless him.
Thanks again Ian...perfect info.
Alexis
.
Pleased to help, would you kindly now rate the information given by selecting from the star rating system at the top of the page. It lets me close the job down on the system once done. Thanks you for using JA and have a great day - Ian