Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

I have a ferroli Modena 102 boiler. When I turn on the hot

Customer Question

I have a ferroli Modena 102 boiler. When I turn on the hot water tap the boiler will spatrk up and ignite. After about 5 seconds it then locks out. The same happens for the central heating as well. If I turn the rest button the boiler will re ignite and then the same happens again. In a few instances the boiler has stayed on after the reset but this is rare
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It is a combi boiler
Expert:  Michael replied 10 months ago.
Hi, I am Tech Michael a specialist expert in this field and I will be assisting you today. I am a Master Technician that's dedicated to giving you the best Answer possible.If you are new to the site, this is briefly how it works:1. We may need some back and forth to exchange information (if needed) and there is no extra cost for replying.2. I will give you the best possible Answer for your problem without the ability of actually being present with you.The better you describe the problem, the quicker I can help ;-)3. Remember to leave a Positive Rating ,it doesn't cost anything additional to rate kindly;-)I am only credited for my time and expertise if you rate kindly.How old is your Boiler?When was this one last serviced?Thank youTech Michael
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
12 years old6 months agoIt has done very little work in those years
Expert:  Michael replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for that information. this is a safety interlock issue that needs to be looked at by an experienced technician or engineer because its shutting down because that part of the system thinks there is no fire. So it shuts down to prevent excess full from entering the unit and causing a potential serious hazard.I wish I had better news for you on this I really do.In any case, I will stick with you until this is complete.Please rate my service thus far.EXCELLENT (5 Stars) would be greatly appreciated.There is NO cost to rate Kindly;-)Also it is the only way I am credited for my time and expertise with you.Once you rate, I will be notified and will add your question to my priority list so you can reach me anytime until this problem is solved.Then you can reach me by simply replying to this message anytime.Thank you and have a nice night.Tech Michael
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Could you please tell me Where the safety interlock is found on the ferroli 102
Nick
Expert:  Michael replied 10 months ago.
Hi sure Nick, This one doesn't have an actual "Termocouple" but, it has a differential air pressure switch, it is a safety device which allows the main burner to ignite only after having verified that the fan is working correctly. If the difference in pressure between the fl ue gas discharge pipe and the air intake pipe is not at least equal to the minimum pressure switch calibration value, the pressure switch contacts do not close and the gas valve is thus prevented from opening. In addition, the electrical circuit of the boiler is designed so that if for any reason the air pressure switch contacts remain closed when the fan stops, the burner will not start up again. Or the differential pressure across the APS should be 180 pascals minimum or 1.8 mbars The ventury will provide half of this on the negative side and until the fan is proved by the APS the boiler will not fire up. if boiler locks up and needs resetting its the overheat stat. The air pressure switch is two wires on that boiler and it is a make or brake contact at 230 volts so it can be tested when running with a manometer on the tube connector or with a volt meter in series with one terminal at a time once ventury is fixed and clear and working of course. Good Luck. Suck or blow on APS very gently or you will damage the diaphragm. Contacts should be open or closed so continuity not ohms reading used.You can try that. I t may fix the issue, but if not this will need service.Please rate my service kindly at this time Nick so I can stick with you until the system is working as it should.Thanks Nick.Tech Michael