George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

I need help fixing my Electrolux Intuition freezer

Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 12 months ago.
Hello, my name is George..
It sounds like you have insufficient refrigerant in the appliance, or a blockage in the system. You will need a refrigeration engineer to visit to correct the issue
Kindly be patient whilst awaiting any responses from me as I'm not constantly available.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Thanks George. Not the diagnosis I was hoping for but you couldn't help that. If there is insufficient refrigerant, that sounds like a leak and so not easily fixable and suggests we'll have to go for a new appliance - shame as it's only 7 years old. If a blockage what would likely cause it? Is there anything else I can do to be sure this is the problem before calling out an engineer?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Hi George, some further thoughts/questions. If the freezer is getting down to -20 Celsius on setting 2 of 6, which my thermometer shows it is, then the fact that the red light still flashes suggests that it does not know it has got there, which sounds like a thermostat issue. Any thoughts on this?
If the appliance is taking 24hrs to get down to -20 and meanwhile the compressor is getting very hot, this is an indication that the compressor is having to work too hard to push what little gas is left to enable the freezer to sufficiently cool... (or the compressor valve plates are failing and therefore the compressor needs replacing)
If the sensor can not detect this cooling due to warm areas of the freezer (Icicles on roof) then the compressor will continue to run. In this case the light will flash.
If the thermostat were faulty, thereby causing the compressor to run constantly, the values of temperature would far exceed what you are describing.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
OK, I set it going again from room temperature with setting on 2 and it has taken 3 hours to get (from room temperature: 20C) to -7 deg C. Does that support the low gas diagnosis? What temperature do you expect at setting 2, since max 6 must be pretty low.You mention that the compressor valve plates may be faulty. How can I tell which it is? With low gas am I looking at appliance write-off since presumably there is a leak and re-gassing would only work for a while?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
An extra note: The "24 hours to get to -20C" was based on the first test I did when it took 24 hours for the red light to finally stop flashing. I did not use a thermometer that time). Second test with thermometer showed -20 when I looked after 24 hours and red light did not stop flashing. It may have reached that temperature before then but I did not want to open the door to look, so i just waited for the red light to stop - it never did so I gave up and looked after 24 hours.My point is, don't take "24 hours to reach -20" as completely true as the current test is showing -6 in 3 hours.I want to be sure that the red light flashing is a cooling/gas and not detector/electrical/pcb issue. Writing it off is clearly a big cost.
The freezer should reduce to -7 within 15 - 30 mins, depending on the setting of the thermostat. Therefore yes, this does support the low gas diagnosis.
The thermostat numbering is different per appliance model. If you turn the thermostat to highest setting, the compressor will stay on longer and therefore the compartment of the appliance will cool faster.
To test the temperature of the freezer, you need to test it in all areas inside the freezer.. also in the area of the sensor.
Re-gassing the appliance should work for the same length of time as you have so far had, since the leak-out regularity has not been altered. (You can not do this. A refrigeration engineer with specialist tools is required.)
You personally can not check the valve plates on the compressor. The way this is tested is by using pressure gauges. (You can not do this. A refrigeration engineer with specialist tools is required.)
If it is blocked, this could be just the system filter needing replacement.. (You can not do this. A refrigeration engineer with specialist tools is required.)
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 11 months ago.
Can I ask that you rate the assistance given to you by me .. regardsgeorge
Experience: A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair