Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

My washing machine (Zanussi ZKH 7146 J Jetsystem) is mid wash

my washing machine (Zanussi ZKH 7146 J Jetsystem) is mid wash cycle, all ok other than continual low level buzzing - not grinding or clanking, noise that has started. should I stop the machine, as don't want to be causing damage by it running?
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Is the drum still turning ok?
If you stop it and select the spin cycle does the water drain out from there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it went on to dry cycle and buzzing stopped, at end no water in the machine.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Ok so was the buzzing just during the wash cycle?
Was it doing it all the way through it even when the drum wasn't turning?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i think there was a small pause when it stopped turning during the wash cycle, then stopped completed when turning during drying turns .
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Ok so you mean when the drum stopped turning on wash so did the buzzing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
exactly
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Ok this model uses a 3 phase motor which uses a control board that has large capacitors on them.
Now when the motor starts to turn the control board pluses as the drum starts and this can sometimes give a buzzing noise as it does it.
Ive seen these boards do this before and they don't really causes much of a problem as it just gives a low buzz noise as the drum turns.
So just see how it goes as if its working still its more then likely the motor control board causing this fault which they sometimes do.
But if the noise is to loud for you or your not happy with it then you will need to replace it hopefully the new one will be fine from there.
But if its only a low buzz then that's usually the norm on these 3 phase motors as its just the electronic control board that makes this noise.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
phew, thank you.