johnnn40
johnnn40, Customer Service
Experience:  service and repair of home and commercial appliances
22250861

I have a 20 year old firebird burner, the one with the square

Customer Question

I have a 20 year old firebird burner, the one with the square control box on the front of it. the burner keeps running but it doesn't ignite. I've changet the control box and the photocell but still have the same problem. I also primed it and there's plenty of oil coming through. Can you help please?
PJ
Expert:  johnnn40 replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like the igniter is not functioning correctly. I used to have to clean the spark tip of carbon build up on a regular basis. Clean yours, and see if the burners lights off.If it doesn't, replace the igniter assembly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
someone told me it could be the solenoid . do you the solenoid could be faulty?
Expert:  johnnn40 replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure what solenoid you mean. Can you elaborate for me?
Expert:  johnnn40 replied 1 year ago.
I'm going to suggest that you go to www.global.firebird.ie/portals/2/docs/std%20system-ma/ for a pdf window, showing a complete parts illustration for a typical firebird boiler/heater.
I found no mention of a solenoid in the literature.
If the blower fan runs, when you turn the unit on, there should be a moment's delay before the igniter module provides high voltage to the electrode to produce the spark that lights the main burner. If there's no spark between the electrode wires, either the gap isn't correct, some sort of material build up on the electrode wires, usually carbon, or the spark module has failed.
Expert:  johnnn40 replied 1 year ago.
I just had another thought on your problem. If everything I've suggested checks out all right, remove the electrical mains power for an hour. Electronic spark modules usually lock out after a set number of start attempts, and they need the power removed in order to reset themselves.
Expert:  johnnn40 replied 1 year ago.
Do you need further assistance, before your request times out?