Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

Beko Aclass frost free fridge freezer. Fridge is fine but freezer

Beko Aclass frost free fridge freezer. Fridge is fine but freezer stopped working. When I open it, the fan isn't spinning and I can't hear the motor running at all. Any ideas?
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Can you post the model number please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a Beko Aclass Frost free fridge freezer. Is that it or is there another number somewhere?
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
That's just the brand of appliance. If you look inside the fridge section behind the salad box or the shelf above it on the left hand side of the wall there will be a sticker in there and the model number will be on there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Model no CDA648FW
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for that.
I take it the compressor is still running as you say the fridge is working still?
If so then the fan should run at the same time as the compressor. So as the fan isn't running then its more then likely a faulty fan motor in there.
As these do fail quite often on these Bekos.
What you need to do is empty the freezer and remove the back panel.
From there you will see the fan motor. Access the wiring block and with a multi meter you need to test it for resistance. If faulty then you need to replace it.
Also just check when you remove the back panel there isn't a build up of ice blocking the fan.
Also turn the fan blade by hand and its should be very free to spin. If its a bit tight to turn then that's a signs its also failed as well.
So check that and see what you find. For as if the compressor is running then the control board is sending the power to the fan as they both run together so if the fan isn't then its more then likely a faulty fan itself here.
So check that and see what you find from there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fan moves freely. No obstructions.I'll borrow a multimeter tomorrow to teat fan motor.First though, I say the compressor's running but that's only because the fridge is staying cold. I can't actually hear anything running. Should I be able to?
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
If the fridge is cold then the compressor has to be running as if it wasn't then the fridge will be warm as its the same compressor used for both.
So just check the fan when you can and see what you find.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just bought a multimeter but today noticed the freezer is workingg again. I can hear the motor and the fan is whizzing round again. Any ideas? Yesterday when I was round the back there was a plastic tube running down the back that needed reattaching. I assumed it was to drain the fridge and had nothing to do with the freezer not working. Is that right or could that be it?
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Ok that black tube you see at the back is indeed the drain hose from the fridge so that wont cause anything like this at all. As its kicked back in then just keep an eye on it as I have seen the fan motors play up like this were it runs then all of a sudden it stops and then can just start up again at anytime. So see how it goes but if it stops again then just check the fan motor as its still looking like a faulty fan motor here. Regard
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Just wondering how you got on with the freezer?Has the fan carried on running? Also if you could remember to rate the answer that would be great.You can still come back to me on this at anytime even after rating as that isn't a problem. Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. The fan has been working on and off. When it's on, I can hear the fridge freezer running and when it's not, the whole thing is silent. So I'm not sure it's just the fan motor. It sounds like the compressor is on and off too. Is that something I can test/fix?
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Ok if the compressor is on and off as well as the fan then this is going to be the control board at fault. As for both to do this it will be the control board at the back towards the top under the plastic cover.You will need to replace this as that will be what's causing this fault here.Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I access this? And any ideas how much to replace? And where I can get one? Thanks.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
To access the board its on the back.
Look on the back towards the top and theres a plastic cover there with a single screw in there.
Remove the screw and then you can remove the control board and swap it over from there.
The part number for it is(###) ###-####
A quick google search will bring a supplier up for you as theres quite a few online spares site.
Or you can try www.buyspares.co.uk
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The control board arrived. Tried to fit it following your instructions but I can see any plastic panel on the back of the fridge freezer near the top or anywhere on the back.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Ok look at that model number you posted it shows it as a control board. Which for this it will be on the back towards the top behind a plasic cover held on by a screw. Is that the correct full model number?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it's the full and correct model number but no plastic panel on back at top held with a screw. Or is it the serial number you need?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Over a week and no reply. Does this mean I get my £27 back? I'm also stuck with a part you told me to buy and have no way of fitting it. :(
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay. I didn't see your last reply for some reason otherwise I would have got back to you so don't know what happened there. As to the fridge if you don't have that control board fitted on the back then this has a defrost timer at the bottom and a thermostat inside the fridge as theres only types of fridges. As I said that model you posted brought up the control board on the parts site so as you don't have one then that's wrong and all I can do is say sorry on that one as I can only go off the parts site I use which has clearly got this model wrong. As to the fault is it still defrosting itself and then coming back on on its own?If so how long is it staying off for?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No worries.Sounds like mine must be a defrost timer one then.Yes it is defrosting itself and coming back on it's own. Hard to say how long it's off for but I think it's off more than it's on. Most the time when I pop out to the garage, it's off.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Ok if you look at the back of the fridge at the bottom you will see the compressor.Look to the left of this and you should see a white box screwed to the back wall to the left hand side of the compressor. This is the defrost timer. Now ive had them sticking in the past but we tend to find it sticks completely and doesn't come back on until you advance it on. Look ont he box of the timer and theres a white cover. Pop this off and you can see the timer cog there. Insert a flat screwdriver in there and turn it and if it kicks in then its possibley the defrost timer itself at fault. But if its not the timer then its possibley the thermostat inside the fridge at the top. As for both the fan and compressor to cut out at the same time I don't think its a compressor fault as otherwise the fan will still run when the compressor isn't. So check that defrost timer and thermostat and see what you find.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Turned the defrost timer with a screwdriver but it didn't do anything.I looked at the thermostat inside the fridge but not sure what to look for. It's on 1.The fridge continues to work fine but the freezer has stopped working completely now I think. It's been several days since I went in and saw the fan running and could hear anything.Dave
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you get my reply? This is dragging on a bit.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay. I think the question is timing itself out on this that's why im not always seeing you replies on here. But as to the fault now if freezer isn't working but the fridge is then you need to empty the freezer and from there remove the back panel.Behind there you will see the freezer evaporator. Check to see if this is all blocked up with ice. If so then use a hairdryer and fully defrost it from there. As if the ice builds up too much it can effect the cooling in there. As the compressor must be working otherwise you will find the fridge wont work as well so as the fridge is fine then the compressor is doing what it should. So check that and see what you find. Or if you don't want to or cannot remove the panels then do a full defrost on this. Turn it off for 24-48 hours and leave the freezer door open and let it fully defrost from there and then see how it goes from there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No ice clogging anything up behind cover.What about the fan motor? Earlier you thought that might be it.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Ok if theres no ice then its possibley the fan.Have you tested it yet for continuity?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not yet. Got a multimeter now tho. Could you tell me how to do it? What am I looking for? Where do I put the plugs?
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Set you meter to ohms scale. Depending on you meter set it to about 1K ohms scale.Then disconnect the wires to the connector block for the fan motor.Then place each probe to the tags on the fan motor and it should give a reading.If it doesn't then its the fan motor at fault and will need to be replaced.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fan moter reading 14ohms.Does that mean the motor is fine?If so, what else could it be?
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Ok it shows the resistance is fine but sometimes the motors can go stiff and not run correctly. This is quite rear really but to check when the compressor is running access the fan and listen very close to it and see if theres a sight humming noise from it. If there is but the fan isn't running then its the fan motor. But if the fan motor isn't kicking in but the compressor is running then its a supply fault to the fan which is supplied by the defrost timer but to be honest ive ever had to replace a defrost timer for this fault were the fan isn't running. We replaced loads for sticking but when this happens the compressor doesn't kick in at all and the fridge and freezer goes off.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi.Because of how this has dragged on, I got someone out to take a look at it and it turns out to be none of the things you've been saying. The problem was simply that the atmospheric temperature around the fridgefreezer is so low that because it's a auto defrost one, it wasn't kicking in. So no fault at all. Just needed a different thermostat so it keeps running.Unfortunately this means this online enquiry has been unfruitful for us, so please could you let us know how we go about getting our £27 refunded?Also, because of the incorrect advice you gave, the control board you told us to buy wasn't what was needed and it cost us a further £32.37. Please let me know what you can do for us here.I've appreciate you have tried to help us but in the end you've cost us a total of £59.37 to no avail. I'm not going to get the time back that we wasted but I'd at least like to try and get a full refund for what you've cost us.Do let me know.