Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

I have a built-in Neff fridge freezer E-NR K4463x0gb/01,FD7507, which

Customer Question

I have a built-in Neff fridge freezer E-NR K4463x0gb/01,FD7507, which is not switching on although the light is on and the fridge thermostat is set at 3. The compressor starts for only 5-6 seconds at a time then cuts out and some time later the same thing happens.
I have swiched the power off at the mains and left it off for 5 hour, when I switched it on again the same thing happened, so I left it off overnight, but still no joy when I switched it on in the morning. It appears to be the starter part of the compressor, but this is difficult to get at as it is completely built -in, any further thoughts to remedy the problem.
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 1 year ago.
Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries - a quick request and question for you, when the compressor attempts to start and then cuts out do you hear a gentle 'click' ?
Do you require further assistance?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't appear to have a reply to my original question as below.
I have a built-in Neff fridge freezer E-NR K4463x0gb/01,FD7507, which is not switching on although the light is on and the fridge thermostat is set at 3. The compressor starts for only 5-6 seconds at a time then cuts out and some time later the same thing happens.I have swiched the power off atthe mains and left it off for 5 hour, when I switched it on again the same thing happened, so I left it off overnight, but still no joy when I switched it on in the morning. It appears to be the starter part of the compressor, but this is difficult to get at as it is completely built -in, any further thoughts to remedy the problem.Thanks.02/02/2016 02:48
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In answer to your original query, yes it does ' click' which I assume is coming from the relay-starter on the compressor
OK in this case you have a mechanically seized compressor, what is happening is that as power is applied to the compressor initially there is about 3-5 times the power being used to start the motor. If the motor is seized so more power is drawn until the power reaches what is called the locked rotor amperage. The relay and overload assembly then cut off the power to the motor at which point you get a 'click' The only solution is to replace the compressor. If you get Neff out you will be looking at around £250-300 for the repair, if a local independent company perhaps a little less. Not an uncommon event these days.
Would you now rate the information given by selecting from the star rating system at the top of the page, once done all further questions are free of charge. Time for some contemplation on your part I think. Thank You for using JA - come back to me if you need further advice - have a good afternoon - Ian
Experience: I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If it doesn't click is it the same solution, as it is now just stopping
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the follow up. Since your answer, the following day it started working again as I had left the power on to see what would happened. It operated continuously with the fridge thermostat set at 3, and the freezer want down to approx. -20 deg. so I switched the thermostat down to 2 and it switched off. After a while it wouldn't start again so I switched it off at the mains overnight, and after switching it back on it started after a while but only for about 15 min. It is now trying to start at various intervals but it only operates for 10 seconds at a time, but now when it stops there is no 'Click'.
The compressor has obviously been running since your answer.
Trust this further info helps.
Indeed so but it keeps failing by drawing more current that the compressor is rated to do, In the end you may get a couple of weeks of this stop and go but eventually as already stated you will have to replace the compressor/appliance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If the Relay / Starter is replaced could this fix the problem or is it worth it considering the fridge freezer has had nearly 19 year of use.
You can get universal relay and overload assemblies for hard start compressors which may work in the short term. http://www.amazon.com/SUPCO-SPP6-Start-Relay-Capacitor/dp/B0002YTLFE/ref=pd_sim_60_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=41r4reVFMRL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1HPS3S688D39YZMC1VNH You just need to select the one that covers you compressor capacity.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It looks as if I will be selecting a new fridge freezer, as it is nearly 19 years old, not much point in delaying the inevitable.
Thanks for your help.
Glad to help and sorry we didnt get a diy fix