Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

I have a Toshiba recorder either RD-88DTKB or 98DTKB(not sure

Customer Question

I have a Toshiba recorder either RD-88DTKB or 98DTKB(not sure which).Until recently no problems with it.I have recently recorded to HDD and wanted to dub onto disc.This has never been a problem before,but now I cannot dub as I keep getting the following message:-'Disc Error.Please eject the disc.Playback may not be available on this disc'.I also find I cannot playback previously recorded discs.I have no problem in re3cording to HDD nor playing back pre-recorded discs.Any idea what the solution may be ?
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am Tech Michael a specialist expert in this field and I will be assisting you today. I am a Master Technician that's dedicated to giving you the best Answer possible.If you are new to the site, this is briefly how it works:1. We may need some back and forth to exchange information (if needed) and there is no extra cost for replying.2. I will give you the best possible Answer for your problem without the ability of actually being present with you.The better you describe the problem, the quicker I can help ;-)3. Remember to leave a Positive Rating ,it doesn't cost anything additional to rate kindly;-)I am only credited for my time and expertise if you rate kindly.This is a problem with the record head in the DVD portion of the unit?Can you tell me if it will "PLAY" any DVD now? Thank youTech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will play bought pre recorded DVDs i.e. major movies,but will not now play those I have dubbed from the HDD in the machine.It was never a problem before.It would play any discs.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for that info.This problem is an issue with the record portion of the reading Laser head.It may simply be dusty as happens over time.Its possible you will need to replace that head, btu that will need to be doesn't by an experienced technician as it is a precision install. If you are handy I can help you do this as well, its really not too difficult to do btu special things need to be done when you get a new laser head before installation. But we will cross that bridge if we need to.For now, unplug the machine from power, wait 20 full minutes then plug it back in to power, and run a Good quality Cleaning disk, "wet Type" only!Please run this a few times to see if it clears the problem. If it does great! Works about 75% of the time;-)If not please let me know and I will continue with you until we have this fixed. If you aren't handy in this way, you will need then to take it to a local home audio/video sales shop as most make this repair for a small fee. In any case, I will stick with you until this is complete.Please rate my service thus far.EXCELLENT (5 Stars) would be greatly appreciated.There is NO cost to rate Kindly;-)Also it is the only way I am credited for my time and expertise with you.Once you rate, I will be notified and will add your question to my priority list so you can reach me anytime until this problem is solved.Then you can reach me by simply replying to this message anytime.Thank you and have a great day! Tech Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience: I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Michael.Thanks your advice worked.I am therefore rating your service excellent.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Awesome! So happy I could help;-)Have a great weekend and thank you for the excellent rating!Tech Michael