Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I have a Zanussi TD245 Tumble Drier. Recently socks have

Customer Question

Hi, I have a Zanussi TD245 Tumble Drier. Recently socks have started getting jammed between the front rim of the drum and the outer frame. The drum does move up an down a little, but the bearing was replaced some months ago and so I suspect it may be down to one of the felt 'seals' at the front. The "Zanussi Tumble Dryer Front Drum Seal" which is visible when the top of the drier is removed appears to have stretched and so sometimes pops out of the gap between drum and the frame, but I am not sure that is what is affecting the sock escape problem. I think that I can only feel it, but it maybe the "Zanussi Tumble Dryer Felt Slide Seal" that is the one between the outer rim of the drum and the frame which has perhaps worn away and causing the issue.
Thanks, Mark
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 9 months ago.
Hi When this happens basically its nearly always down to a worn front felt seal. You will need to replace this from there and that should cure it as its more then likely worn very flat so this gives play in the drum.So replacing the front felt seal should cure this. To do this you need to strip the dryer down to fit this. Now I do have the service manual that shows how to strip the dryer down and replace the seal. If you want this let me know and I will upload it for you. Regards
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi DanielCould you confirm that this is the part?The service manual would be cool.Thanks
Mark
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The link disn't show. espares Stock Number: ES102951
Hi Yes that's the correct seal for the dryer. But just tried to get the manual and its not loading it up. I think its because its a 25 year old dryer so they don't keep them online for that long. But to replace the seal you need to remove the top and then remove the back heater cover and remove the heater and the rear bearing.Then you can remove the complete back panel. There will be 2 screws either side on the top at the back.Then remove the screws on the back in the bottom corners.Then on the side in the middle at the bottom is a plastic cap. Pop this out and theres another screw in there.Then with them off you can remove the back panel and then the drum and then you can access the front felt seal from there. Regards
Sorry my fault forget the above at removing the back. Wrong machine sorry. You still need to remove the top but this time you need to remove the screws along the top on the front half and then on the inside of the dryer on the side in the middle at the top you will see another screw, remove this.Then you need to lift the side bracket up which you will see on both sides and pull the front cabinet forward.This will move forward enough to allow you to fit the front seal there. Its a tight fit but you can do it from there.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** sense, I had wondered whether I could do it like that. Would certainly be easier than having to also go in via the bottom to take the front and back halves of the panelling completely apart. Worth trying as you've suggested :-)Cheers
No worries, If you need anymore info just get back to me.
Hi Just wondering how you got on with the dryer as the question is still open?Do you need anymore help on this?If not then if you could rate the answer that would be great. Many thanks
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi DanielThanks for following up. The parts didn't arrive from Zanussi (Electrolux) within a week and I am now away on holiday returning tomorrow. I couldn't really give you a 5 star rating without testing it out and so planned to give it ago over the weekend. Hope that is OK.
Mark
No worries that's fine. Just get back to me once done then as that's not a problem.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It turned out that it wasn't the felt seal part (espares Stock Number: ES102951) that you confirmed that was the problem. It wasn't worn or compressed at all. For future reference there was also absolutely no chance of replacing the felt seal without taking the whole front of the tumble drier apart as it was an extremely tight fit that needed two of use to prise into place. The problem of losing socks was that the foam drum seal epares stock number ES102950 which I had mentioned pops out of a gap. I had not understood how it was supposed to fit. Once taken apart it was clear that this had just come out of a different (horizontally oriented rather than vertical) gap that I didn't realise was there. I suspect that I could have just pushed it back in and completed the repair for no finiancial outlay at all. Nevertheless, I have replaced both the flat seal (£30) and the foam drum seal (£20) of which the former was certainly unnecessary sadly.
Mark
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Further it turns out that neither replacement seal had any affect on the problem. Clothes were caught on the gap at the front of the drum again and this time they caused the drum to jam and the motor to cut out. I am replacing the tumble drier for a new one. Thanks for your help, but it has led me not to believe that an online service is to be recommended.