Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

Terrible smell coming from the American style fridge freezer

Terrible smell coming from the American style fridge freezer on intermittent occasions usually when motor has been running. Really a very bad smell but nothing apparent when back off the fridge , ....
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am Tech Michael a specialist expert in this field and I will be assisting you today. I am a Master Technician that's dedicated to giving you the best Answer possible.If you are new to the site, this is briefly how it works:1. We may need some back and forth to exchange information (if needed) and there is no extra cost for replying.2. I will give you the best possible Answer for your problem without the ability of actually being present with you.The better you describe the problem, the quicker I can help ;-)3. Remember to leave a Positive Rating ,it doesn't cost anything additional to rate kindly;-)I am only credited for my time and expertise if you rate kindly.How old is your fridge ?Also, may I have the full model #?And can you describe the smell? Is it like musty or rotten eggs?Thank youTech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think the fridge/ freezer is about 9 years old. Model number: RSH1DBRS. The smell is like very powerful rotten eggs. Particularly strange in that it's not constant , in fact a few days can pass when there is no smell and then it returns..... We've read various posts online about taking the back off the fridge, emptying / cleaning drip tray etc but when checking at the back everything visible is completely dry ?
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi I understand, this smell comes from various sources, it could be the drip pan or even molded water in the drain lines in the defrost system.The way to cure this is to empty the fridge and freezer and defrost for 24 hours. Then visit any local hardware store, they have a product that will absorb all this odor better than baking soda, which you can also keep a box in your fridge for help with that in the future.This problem is actually very common and can happen even to new fridges.In any case, I will stick with you until this is complete.Please rate my service thus far.EXCELLENT (5 Stars) would be greatly appreciated. Also it is the only way I am credited for my time and expertise with you.Once you rate, I will be notified and will add your question to my priority list so you can reach me anytime until this problem is solved.Then you can reach me by simply replying to this message anytime.Thank you and have a great day!Tech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay I'll try this, it's not practical at the moment as I've quite a lot of food in the fridge and freezer. I will rate your service well,? but will keep in touch as you've suggested to keep you posted and for further advice if this doesn't work. Of note , the inside of the fridge does not smell bad at all it is just a horrible smell that seems to be caused by the fridge that permeates the air all around it and beyond wen it does occur. Maia
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi Maia, that shoudl do the trick. Once you rate, I will see that and be able to place your question in my priority list so you can reach me anytime, no additional cost for that;-) Thank you and have a great weekend!Tech Michael