Plumberpro
Plumberpro, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Heating and hot water heating appliances experienced
77408428

We have a Miele W853 Novotronic washing machine with a very

Customer Question

We have a Miele W853 Novotronic washing machine with a very mouldy door seal. We decided to replace the seal and have purchased a new one. Accessing and removing the original seal was straightforward (I'm fairly competent at carrying out a range of repairs on our domestic appliances) but I'm finding it extremely difficult to stretch the new seal over the drum of the machine before securing it with the wire hoop. Can you please provide advice on carrying out this part of the repair, ideally with diagrams to illustrate the process. Many thanks.
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 9 months ago.
Hi ,have a look on you tube . There are loads of videos showing door seals being replaced
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I've spent hours over the past 2 days watching youtube videos covering all the popular makes of machine! They all show the seal being stretched over the drum with apparent ease. The seals appear to be thinner and more flexible than the Miele one. I'm confident I have the correct seal (purchased from buyspares); it's identical to the one I've taken off. I've tried right way round and folded inside out and in either case can only get the seal half to two-thirds of the way over the flange before it becomes too tight to stretch further. I've enlisted the help of my adult son in doing it (two pairs of hands) and we can't get it any further. I've tried it dry and lubricated with washing up liquid to no avail. I've tried levering it with various tools but still can't stretch it enough. I've searched numerous websites but can't find either a written description or a video covering this particular operation for a Miele. I've put requests into both Miele and buyspares customer support but haven't yet received a response. As you can imagine I'm out of ideas and hoped you could provide some professional advice on the technique to use in this situation.
Hi, did you take the front panel off?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Yes, took top off and freed the front panel which is hinged at the right hand side on the W853 and swung it open to 90 degrees. There is however a fixed frame (appears to be spot welded to the rest of the casing) on the W853 which restricts access to the front of the drum.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Miele-W1611-Door-Seal-replacement-1/Check this pictorial to see if you have done the same
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks for the above. Yes, I've basically done the same on my W853 but the arrangement is different as follows. Taking top off - very similar. Releasing the front panel - similar. However the panel on mine is hinged on the right hand side and once freed it swings open through 90deg to give access,; the control panel stays attached to the front panel and swings out of the way with it. What's left is significantly different as follows. Instead of the 2 unpainted bracing bars at top and bottom (see photo 8) which attach to the side panels, the 853 has a partial frame which is welded to the side panels and can't be removed. Access is restricted by this arrangement with 'porthole' just a bit larger than the drum. Access is either through the hole or down from the top of the partial frame or up from the bottom. (I can send you a photo if this would help). Removal of the old seal was similar to the photos you sent but the bit I need help with is the bit at bottom of photo 8, "Install the new seal in exactly the reverse method". As explained above, stretching the new seal over the drum appears almost impossible due to the stiffness of the seal and the amount of stretch required to get it over the drum rim. I need to see how it's done on an 853 or other model with the same more limited access .
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I've searched on your Answers data base and found one titled "What is the procedure for replacing the door seal on a Miele" by an expert called Michael Reush. This describes the process on a Miele washer that is very similar to our W853. I've followed through the steps and I'm ashamed to admit that I've been trying to fit the seal the wrong way round. The tag that Michael refers to that helps you to get hold of the seal to pull the old one off the drum matches the size of a hole on the front frame which I assumed was meant as a recess for the button shaped tag. I should have realised that when reversed the diameters of the front and back rims of the seal better match the drum and frame diameters. After a bit of a struggle I've now managed to seat the seal on the drum and secure it with the steel hoop. I've also located the front of the seal on the flange of the frame. I'm just about to start reassembly. I'm sorry to have been so dense but I guess it led me to one of your answers that has solved the problem. Thanks for your help.Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/uk-appliance/1p1t4-procedure-replacing-door-seal-miele.html#ixzz409qqn16G
You have to lip the inside edge of the seal onto the inside edge of the tub. You get one part on and the 'feed' it around a bit at a time until the whole circumference is done.You then fix the inner retaining wire in place and then do the same for the outer rim. It's not easy to explain tbh.If you've never done this before it can be very difficult, seemingly impossible.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Yes, thanks. All done now and machine back in use.
Your welcome, I'm glad you managed it in the end . Would you mind rating me please, thanks