George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

My name is ***** ***** live in the UK, I have just bought an

Customer Question

Hi my name is ***** ***** live in the UK, I have just bought an Engel MT45F and I run it for a full day with pre frozen food inside and although it gets to whatever temperature I set it it on it seems to spend more time running than resting, for example I turned dial so that it was showing -10 it was running 13 mins then stopped for 3mins then run for 12mins and stop for 3mins and so it goes on.
Is this the norm or is there a problem
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like your appliance is short of refrigerant and may need regassing.. Check the temperature of the compressor. Is it Cold, Warm, or Hot?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just felt round the back and it's cold - just want to remind you that it's brand new
Hi, thanks for that reply. The initial response was just an observation and not a diagnosis. The fact that it is brand-new would not be relative as these problems can occur on both new and aged equipment. How much food do you have in the appliance?
Also, what are you using to power the appliance?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry didn't mean anything by my reply, as to how much in the freezer it about two thirds full
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
12v
If the compressor is cool then that suggests that there is not a problem with the gassing of the appliance.. By the time schedules you have given and noticing that those schedules are decreasing in (on) time, it seems that for whatever reason, either the appliance is not fully down to temperature yet or, there is an issue with the sensor of the appliance. Is the lid firmly shut and sealing?Do you have a thermometer to measure the interior temperature of the box with the lid closed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes the lid is firmly shut and no thermometer
I would suggest testing the internal temperature to ensure that the appliance is getting down to temperature as soon as you can... Feel free to come back to me thereafter regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will get one and then get back to you, most places closed being Sunday so tomorrow will be the earliest, great thing the Internet asking an Australian about a problem my freezer, when would be the best time for me to get in touch with you tomorrow.
Freezing here on my boat what's it like there
I am in the UK and it was below zero here this morning. Come back to me when you can.. If I am around I will answer you straight away, but if not, leave a message for me and I will come back to you on my return. regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks
Let me know when you have checked it and what results you get.Also, if you get the chance, try it on 240v to see what results you get.