Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

Siemens dishwasher leaving heavy salt residue on pots

Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 1 year ago.
Salt is not actually used in the wash program it is used to back flush the water softener ie it does not enter the wash cavity. If you have salt on the pots it will be caused by a faulty salt container cap. Check that this is not damaged, the seal in not missing or that is has been put on cross threaded.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks for the quick reply.
Have just checked the cap. The seal is intact and appears to be in good condition.....no problems with the thread, which is very coarse and I would guess difficult to cross thread, and the cap is tight. Would it cause problems if we stopped using salt altogether....I believe that there is salt in the 'Finish' dishwasher tablets we use?
Are you using rinse aid?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
OK well understanding that the only thing that can let salt into your dishwasher is a leaking cap and accepting that it is not this then what you have is a build up of scale in the pipework. Next thing to do is put a cleaner descaller through to clear out all this junk. Take on board that when you first got the dishwasher it was pristine clean, it is only what has subsequently been placed within the dishwasher that can cause this. Finally how high is the water hardness setting?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi again
Accept everything you say re the cap....am a retired aircraft engineer so can assure you that it is secure and sealed, so must be a scaling problem. Excuse my ignorance, but I don't understand ho that causes the salt problem? We have always used decent tablet, rinse aid and salt, and wash off excess from pots by hand before washing.
Anyway, will try a de-scale and see if that helps.
Many thanks for all of your advise.
To explain whilst the dishwasher is working with hot water then any deposits are held in suspension, however at the end of the cycle the remaining deposits separate out and stick to the inside of the pipes a bit like the action you see when viewing furred up plumbing pipework. If you don't keep on top of it eventually you are effect washing in dirty water. The detergent manufacturers would have you believe this doesn't happen but take my word for it - it does. You have to use a cleaner/descaller at least once a month to keep on top of it --- Would you now kindly rate the information given so far, once done all further questions are free of charge and you can come back to me at any time. Thank You for using JA and have a good evening - Ian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks again, Ian
Will do, re the feedback..
Cheers
Doug