Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

Chamberlain MotorLift 4000uk/5000uk.Purchased 2003,door stops

Customer Question

Chamberlain MotorLift 4000uk/5000uk.Purchased 2003,door stops when opening or closing this fault was intermittent but is now regular. When the door stops the light goes out and the controls don't work, a click, (probably a contact closing is heard) and the light comes on and the door works again, it may work and complete cycle or fault again. Is this a call for new bushes or a new motor? This fault only started about 9 months ago
Expert:  Michael replied 11 months ago.
No HAMMERS LOL! Hi, I am Tech Michael a specialist expert in this field and I will be assisting you today. I am a Master Technician that's dedicated to giving you the best Answer possible.If you are new to the site, this is briefly how it works:1. We may need some back and forth to exchange information (if needed) and there is no extra cost for replying.2. I will give you the best possible Answer for your problem without the ability of actually being present with you.The better you describe the problem, the quicker I can help ;-)3. Remember to leave a Positive Rating ,it doesn't cost anything additional to rate kindly;-)I am only credited for my time and expertise if you rate kindly.This sounds like a control problem, but this could be the motor, or the safety switch that stops the unit.But I need to knwo for sure, what happens once it shuts off like that, what do you need to do to get it running again? Thank youTech Michael
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No hammer ..just Valium. I wait and try again,5mins or 10mins or even 60mins.The clue is that the time delayed courtesy light goes out when the door faults and comes on again when it resets. The fault can immediately occur again or close or open as normal. The fault occurs on open or close and stops in any position ,half way is common but today it stopped 6" short (sorry 150mm).I have removed the courtesy light thinking the LED might interfere with the operation but there was no change. The fault has got worse with the cold weather!!!!!!! coincidence???. Ex Engineer Michael
Expert:  Michael replied 11 months ago.
lol!Hi Michael,This sounds like one of two things. Oh I will be here all day today;-)This is definitely the main control board that took a crap lol.Its easy to replace and I will help, no hammers required though! The best place to get that board is : http://www.easygates.co.uk/garage-door-spares.aspI have other sources if you need?I would call them to order this board, they # ***** ***** the main page ;-)In any case, I will stick with you until this is complete.Please rate my service thus far.EXCELLENT (5 Stars) would be greatly appreciated. Also it is the only way I am credited for my time and expertise with you.Once you rate, I will be notified and will add your question to my priority list so you can reach me anytime until this problem is solved.Then you can reach me by simply replying to this message anytime.Thank you and have a great day!Tech Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience: I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Michael replied 11 months ago.
Hi I live in the US and cant call today, but you could call me if I accept you accept the offer. Then we could talk through the entire installation process;-) Let me know if you still want that offer, it would cost $10.00 US more for that service.ThanksTech Michael
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Michael Didn't realise you lived over the pond so this will get to you at 10am Thursday . I enquired about a new control card cost £80.78 ($115) and a new motor but no cost was given as the reply was better to get a newer model for £169 ($230) complete with new controls and my existing safety release and door bar etc. will fit. If this lasts for 13 years it will do as I'm 74.. It should be here for Monday so its out with the toolbox and with hammer and superglue in hand I will triumph and overcome all problems Many thanks Big Hammer Michael (Retired engineer)
Expert:  Michael replied 11 months ago.
Hi B.H. Michael LOL;-)I will be here then just give me a hollar then if you need me. Have a great Sunday!Tech Michael