Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

Good morning, I have an old Dimplex Storage heater (not sure

Good morning, I have an old Dimplex Storage heater (not sure of the item number but it looks compatible with your Dimplex XT9800 Thermostat)
I painted the top with several coats of gloss paint a couple of weeks ago (not very good because it did not take too well), and left the heater "on". It had certainly been working before I removed the top to paint it because it was very warm.
I could not check that all was well at the time because it uses Economy 7 and I could not wait to see if it was working.
Now, two weeks later, a new guest has arrived, and has told us it is stone cold (no prospect of anyone putting clothes over the heater because there has been nobody in the cottage until this latest visitor).
Obviously I may have damaged some connections maybe whilst removing / painting / replacing the top.
My real concern though is whether the additional (white gloss) paint could actually reflect the heat back into the heater, and so cause the overheating fuse to blow.
It is also possible that I may have adjusted output screw to make sure it was about half open on setting "3".
I left both the charge and setting on "3" and cannot be sure whether it came on at all, or came on and overheated, or whether I have another fault.
Can you tell be whether overheating due to painting is likely? If so, I would need to remove this paint now.
Any other advice you can offer?
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am Tech Michael a specialist expert in this field and I will be assisting you today. I am a Master Technician that's dedicated to giving you the best Answer possible.If you are new to the site, this is briefly how it works:1. We may need some back and forth to exchange information (if needed) and there is no extra cost for replying.2. I will give you the best possible Answer for your problem without the ability of actually being present with you.The better you describe the problem, the quicker I can help ;-)3. Remember to leave a Positive Rating ,it doesn't cost anything additional to rate kindly;-)I am only credited for my time and expertise if you rate kindly.The painting should not have caused any overheating but its not a good idea to pain them lol;-)In most cases with this model, the problem will be your wireless thermostat.The best way to reset this one, is to remove the batteries and replace them in the wrong direct (polarity) for 2 full minutes. Then remove the batteries.Next replace them with Brand New Duracell Only batteries int eh correct direction and things should link up and the dimplex shoudl produce heat!If you have any troubles further please reply to me so we can continue, no additional cost for that either;-)In any case, I will stick with you until this is complete.Please rate my service thus far.EXCELLENT (5 Stars) would be greatly appreciated. Also it is the only way I am credited for my time and expertise with you.Once you rate, I will be notified and will add your question to my priority list so you can reach me anytime until this problem is solved.Then you can reach me by simply replying to this message anytime.Thank you and have a great day!Tech Michael Thank youTech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Michael,I do not have a wireless thermostat.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi thanks for that, I thought you did since most re that way now a days on this system, sorry for that confusion. What you likely need to try for a rest is to turn off power to the entire system for 30 full minutes then back on, please let me know if that helps, also if there are any lights on at the boiler itself.ThanksTech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Michael,I feel this is going down hill.We do not have a boiler either.It is a perfectly standard and somewhat old electric storage heater.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi Im really sorry your message went to the wrong place, I had this happen once before in 8 years lol.I know, what you have lol, its an electric storage heater.I need to know if you see any error light on the heater etc, any sign of power etc?Thank youTech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Michael,There are no lights that indicate when it is on. But the switch is on, and the radiator was working before I took the top off to paint it.I do suspect that the thermal fuse may have gone (actually, that is a reset device rather than a fuse in the old storage heater so I can probably check that simply).It is not easy for me to check whether things work because the heater only charges on the Economy 7 tariff, which comes on in the middle of the night. I do now that the economy 7 supply is working because we have two storage heaters and the other is working.Could I test the heater during the day by 'plugging it into' the normal mains circuit? (I would take a spur from a nearby mains socket and connect up to the heater input). I imagine the storage heaters are on 30 amp fuses or 45 amps rather than 15 amps, so would I just blow the mains fuse?Now that you know its an electric storage heater are you still confident that painting it might not have caused it to overheat?Also, if you know what I mean, I did adjust the 'output' - the bit that opens up when you twiddle the knob and so lets more hot air out. I can see this may have released nore hot air into the upper region of the heater and so caused a problem.Any thoughts?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will send a photo of what I have got. It is the top photo that is what I have got, and the bottom is the replacement that I have also got (not because I thought it needed changing, but because the other heater failed and it is a Creda, not Dimplex, and I muddled them up and so ordered the part for the other heater)Clear as mud?
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi it helps to know what brand lol;-)Yes you can test the heater directly by line voltage just use caution.I would replace that thermostat in this case, that shoudl take care of this problem but let me know in any case.Thank youTech Michael