Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

We have a Maytag sovereign fridge freezer serial No. 17770144ZK

Customer Question

We have a Maytag sovereign fridge freezer serial No. 17770144ZK and it has recently started to produce a puddle underneath it periodically. There doesn't seem to be rhyme or reason to when it happens but occurs several times a week. Any suggestions as to what I can check before trying to find an engineer to visit it?
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am Tech Michael a specialist expert in this field and I will be assisting you today. I am a Master Technician that's dedicated to giving you the best Answer possible.If you are new to the site, this is briefly how it works:1. We may need some back and forth to exchange information (if needed) and there is no extra cost for replying.2. I will give you the best possible Answer for your problem without the ability of actually being present with you.The better you describe the problem, the quicker I can help ;-)3. Remember to leave a Positive Rating ,it doesn't cost anything additional to rate kindly;-)I am only credited for my time and expertise if you rate kindly.How old is your Maytag fridge ?Also can you explain where underneath it seems to produce the puddle on the floor?And is the water outside or inside the fridge?And when you defrosted it, was there any solid ice on the rear wall of the freezer inside or on the floor inside the freezer? Thank youTech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Michael.It is 15 years old.
It is difficult to see exactly where the puddle is coming from as it isn't possible to pull it out of it's housing (well, not easily) but is larger on the right (fridge) side.
The water is always on the floor and occurs every four or five days
Yes, there was solid ice on the back panel and the floor of freezer when I defrosted it (3 weeks ago) and this still reforms and I have to chip it away to ensure the basket runs freely. I have left the freezer relatively empty (and nothing in bottom basket) so I can monitor it. My thought was that there could be a blockage in the drainage hole for the self defrost but I can't see where there is a drainage hole as there is a panel with a grid and that seems fixed - as well as solid with ice around it! I'm not sure how much pressure I can apply to remove this panel, if at all.Mags
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for that. This is one where either the drip pan has developed a crack or the line from the inside of the freezer that runs the water into the pan is clogged or cracked. It means that the defrost system in the fridge/freezer is ok though and doing its job.You can remove the rear panel behind the fridge at the bottom to check the pan. But to check the tubing and the drain in the freezer you must remove the inside rear wall to get at it. Its pretty eas to do but you need to remove a few shelf brackets int here first. ALl you need are a few basic hand tools to do this task. I will help in any way I can;-)Its not a serious issue I can tell you that for sure ;-)In any case, I will stick with you until this is complete.Please rate my service thus far.EXCELLENT (5 Stars) would be greatly appreciated. Also it is the only way I am credited for my time and expertise with you.Once you rate, I will be notified and will add your question to my priority list so you can reach me anytime until this problem is solved.Then you can reach me by simply replying to this message anytime.Thank you and have a great day!Tech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In rating you I seem to have wiped my reply!
Yes, I will try and remove the panel but if it comes to removing the rear casing I will await my husband's return as he might be shocked to find me surrounded by the interior of the freezer. If I find the pipe is blocked i'm guessing I might need a replacement part which I'm wondering if I should have before attempting it?
Meanwhile, here goes with the back panel....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
'the rear panel behind the fridge'....is that by pulling the whole thing out or is that the interior rear panel on the freezer side??
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi both actually.The rear panel behind the fridge will gain you access to the drip pan under the fridge;-)But if that is ok there, then you would need to remove the inner back wall inside the freezer to see where the water is going and why it isn't making it to the drip pan ;-)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is going to be too big a job on my own as the kitchen has been built around the f/f and an island added after installation so there is little room to manoeuvre. The rear panel doesn't look too straightforward to remove but that's only a quick assessment. I can't even see an electrical isolator switch so assume it is behind the f/f.
Shall await my husband's return!
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi Mags,I understand lol, custom installs can be a pain when something goes wrong I know lol;-)I will be here when you are ready to do more, If I m not here I will see your reply upon my return and reply accordingly;-) Have nice day!Tech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where are you based? Time zone?
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi Im in the US EST zone.Tech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just a thought....we don't use the water filter part of the fridge for drinking water as it isn't chilled and our water is nice enough from the taps (and colder), we are in UK and have welsh mountain water!! Consequently I haven't changed the internal filter for years - should be annually, I think. Could this be anything to do with the problem?
Husband returned tonight and raised his eyebrows and said hmmmm when I suggested we pull it all apart. I think I shall be looking for a UK based technician to call out, but maybe at the weekend he will feel up to the challenge!
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi LOL, Im Jealous of your awesome water supply! ;-(As for your fridge, I will be here if one of you decides to tackle that one lol. Anyway please keep me posted!Have a great day guys!Tech Michael