George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

My Samsung fridge freezer leaks water into the lowest part

My Samsung fridge freezer leaks water into the lowest part of the freezer which collects as ice beneath the bottom drawer. Model RL 34 GTC
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 1 year ago.
This can happen for a number of reasons.. 1. The drain tube behind the evaporator cover is blocked and therefore the water overflows the channel following defrost. 2. The defrost sequence has ended and the appliance has not drained the liquid fully by the time the freezer has restarted.. The water then freezes in the drain tube. 3. The freezer door has been left ajar 4. The seal on the freezer door is ineffective or defective
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have checked the seal and the door was not left ajar. I have to remove the ice every couple of days. How do I get to the drain tube
Inside the freezer on the back wall, is a panel; remove the panel to reveal the components of the cooling and defrost system. Once the panel is removed, look to the base of all the workings to find a tray. The drain is in the center of the tray. If when you remove the cover all the working parts are covered in ice, use a hairdryer from about 12" away to defrost the ice.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have removed the back panel inside the freezer but there is no drain hole at the bottom. The only things visible is the fan and two circulation tubes. The drain hole is not visible from inside the freezer.
You have removed the front cover to expose the fan.. Have you removed the rear cover behind the front cover to expose the large aluminum evaporator and wiring?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I need to access this from the back outside of the freezer as the screws are visible from the inside but not the heads.
Once the front cover is removed, the back panel should just be held in by clips along its edge as far as memory serves.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In that case I will have to empty the freezer and try again.Will you be available later?
Yes.. I should be. I will be going on some field calls shortly but will be back later today.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had another try but i could not remove the second panel from the front. It seems to be screwed in four places from the other side. (the back of the panel) The water is dripping down from the left hand duct only.
I have just had this checked on an appliance that is available at an associates business.. He found as I has instructed you above.. that there are clips along the side of the rear evaporator. Look for the clips along the sides of the panel and then insert a slim flat headed driver and use the driver to push the clips towards the center.There are also two screws, one either side of the fan..Be careful, there are a few wires behind the rear panel, so don't go yanking at them. You should be able to continue without any calls, given the description above. However, I have send you a couple of Premium Service requests in-case you would prefer to talk to me; or to talk to me and receive the two images that have just been sent to me.
Experience: A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry but I have been busy. As I told you I tried in vain to remove the rear panel but I will try again.