Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

I have a Bosch Logixx8 (WAS32461GB) washing machine

Customer Question

I have a Bosch Logixx8 (WAS32461GB) washing machine (purchased circa 2012) which is not rinsing the detergent out of the clothes properly.  This is evidenced by foam in the drum and on the clothes at the end of a programme. My 9 month old child’s skin has also reacted badly to the residual detergent.
I researched the issue and, on finding that the coin trap on the detergent solution pump would not unscrew, I removed the lower front cover, freed the flexible pipe running from the drum to the detergent solution pump, and discovered various bits of debris that were obstructing the pump and coin trap.  I cleared the debris, unscrewed the coin trap, cleaned everything out and checked that the pump could turn freely. I then reassembled, and ran 3 long hot programmes and 2 long cold programmes without clothes or detergent to give everything a thorough wash through.  Water appears to be flowing into the drum and out into the drain correctly. The pump feels and sounds as though it's operating ok.
However; when I then tried a ‘normal’ load with clothes and detergent the problem remains. During the rinse cycle, clean water pumps in and the drum subsequently empties several times, but foam clearly remains in the clothes and on the door. When the programme ends there is foam on the glass of the door, and rinsing ‘machine washed’ clothes by hand reveals substantial detergent remaining in the clothes.
I’m not sure what to check next - can you help please?
Regards,  Miles
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell me which washing powder you are using?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Persil Non-Bio Small & Mighty (at the correct dose for a 'normal' load). Have been using it for a long time, and problems have only arisen in last few weeks.
Can you confirm that the water is pumped out after the wash cycle?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, it is. It also pumps out the water several times during the rinse cycle. Fresh water comes in - the drum rotates for a few minutes - water is pumped out - more fresh water comes in etc. Why the detergent is remaining in the clothes has got me beaten.
A quick quesstion, have you moved recently, if not put a load in but only put in half the normal amount of detergent you normally use and then come back to me with the results.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Incidentally, when I ran the 3 long hot cycles to wash out the machine after I cleared the debris in the coin trap, each time it reached the wash cycle there would be a significant level of bubbles in the water. I had not added any detergent to the wash, so it's as if there's a pool of detergent trapped somewhere that's remaining in the machine when the water's pumped out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I haven't moved and I'm in an area of fairly hard water. I'm afraid that I'd also already thought of putting in less detergent too - I added half a measure of detergent and the result was the same: bubbles each time the drum rotated during the rinse cycle and bubbles remaining in the drum at the end of the programme. I was hoping that there might be a blocked filter or something that I wasn't aware of.
Yes over a period of time you get a layer of detergent around the inside of the drum, especially if you only use low temperature washes ie 40C 30C etc and especially if you use the quick wash. A blocked filter wouldn't cause this to happen more a build up over time
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would have thought that the 3 long hot washes (90 degrees) and 2 long cold washes would have addressed that. I just put the machine on a mid-range programme without any laundry - the drum was empty and dry to start with and I didn't add any detergent. It's reached its wash cycle and the water is foaming!
Half a cup of bleach, hot wash - it will foam up like mad but just let it go through and that should clear it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm still mystified by it and don't know what will cure the problem. All programmes are leaving enough detergent in the clothes to cause skin complaints, so surely there must be something more than a build-up on the drum?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, I'll try the bleach on the hottest wash and get back to you once it's gone through.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sometimes it's the simple solutions that work. There must have been a LOT of residual build-up whilst the pump was obstructed. The bleach appears to have cleared the problem and I've just done a load of laundry successfully, with no detergent remaining on clothes or door. I'll probably repeat the bleach every 6 weeks or so to prevent a recurrence.Your advice seems to have solved the problem, so thanks for your help.
OK we got there in the end - just for the future, with modern low temperature washers you need to either use a scoop of biological powder or half a cup of bleach on the hottest wash that you have about every month or so. These cold washes just cause a build up of detergent and allow the washing machine to become mouldy.Would you now kindly rate the information given by selecting from the star rating system at the top of the page, once done all further questions are free of charge. Thank You for using JA and have a great weekend ~ Ian
Do you require further assistance?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All sorted. Sorry for the slow reply - terrible broadband connection. Thanks very much for your advice and no further assistance required. Have a good evening.
.