George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

I have a Candy GDC 590C Condenser tumble Dryer. When I switch

I have a Candy GDC 590C Condenser tumble Dryer. When I switch it on there is a humming noise but the drum doesn't turn. I took the top off and found the drive belt to be intact and the drum turns freely. However I discovered that if I switch on and then push the drum to give it a start it then starts working normally and continues until either it is manually stopped or the end of the program but it will not start again unless given a push as before. Any ideas on what may be causing this ?
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 1 year ago.
Ian, there is an 8uf capacitor on the motor side that starts the motor. When the capacitor becomes defective it cannot give the motor the boost to turn. The hum that you can hear is the motor trying to turn, but can't because the capacitor is no good. When you pushed the drum to start it, your push acted similar to the action of the capacitor and therefore the drum turned...Have the capacitor changed and the appliance should then work normally.