Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

I have a gas powered dometic generator in my motor home and

Customer Question

i have a gas powered dometic generator in my motor home and when I start it is it stuttering although running not running smoothly. did it a previolsuyl but after a few seconds would catch and run smoothly, this is not not happening it just continues to stutter thanks
Expert:  Michael replied 9 months ago.
Hi, I am Tech Michael a specialist expert in this field and I will be assisting you today. I am a Master Technician that's dedicated to giving you the best Answer possible.If you are new to the site, this is briefly how it works:1. We may need some back and forth to exchange information (if needed) and there is no extra cost for replying.2. I will give you the best possible Answer for your problem without the ability of actually being present with you.The better you describe the problem, the quicker I can help ;-)3. Remember to leave a Positive Rating ,it doesn't cost anything additional to rate kindly;-)I am only credited for my time and expertise if you rate kindly.How old is your generator?Also may I have the Make and model? Thank youTech Michael
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
it is about 10 years old and is a Dometic 4 series an older version of the current TEC29 LPG
Expert:  Michael replied 9 months ago.
Thanks,In this one I woudl add some dry gas, about one half cup to a tank of fresh fuel and let that run through, but prior to that I would clean the air filter and the spark plug(s).That should solve this problem. Its a pretty simple motor so it is reliable most of the time;-)In any case, I will stick with you until this is complete.Please rate my service thus far.EXCELLENT (5 Stars) would be greatly appreciated. Also it is the only way I am credited for my time and expertise with you.Once you rate, I will be notified and will add your question to my priority list so you can reach me anytime until this problem is solved.Then you can reach me by simply replying to this message anytime.Thank you and have a great day!Tech Michael
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
how do I access air filter nad spark plugs, will it have spark plugs if gas powered ?
Expert:  Michael replied 9 months ago.
Hi Im sorry for the delay,How much experience do you have with replacing spark plugs and mechanical work in general?I should be here all day so we can gt through this quicker today ;-).ThanksTech Michael
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Never replaced spark plugs and limited mechanical experience beyond topping up oil etc.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ps not sure how I could add dry gas as the fuel is a propane canister which feeds the generator, some helpful souls are suggesting it sounds like and issue with the choke
Expert:  Michael replied 9 months ago.
Hi yes you have the propane version so no dry gas is required;-)To change the plugs, you need to remove the outer covers to get to the spark plug wires which need to be popped off, then you need a spark plug socket that fits that size plug and a ratchet.You also do need to make sure the choke is opening full when the motor is warm. But also if that is working make sure the air filter is clean as that will mimic a choke issue;-)This model is very reliable if all of these things are ok.In any case, I will stick with you until this is complete.Please rate my service thus far.EXCELLENT (5 Stars) would be greatly appreciated. Also it is the only way I am credited for my time and expertise with you.Once you rate, I will be notified and will add your question to my priority list so you can reach me anytime until this problem is solved.Then you can reach me by simply replying to this message anytime.Thank you and have a great day!Tech Michael
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
okay doke sounds like it might be best to check the air filter first, where is that located ? didn't realisr a gas fired one would have an air filter :)
Expert:  Michael replied 9 months ago.
It should be near the carb.All fuel powered engines have an air filter at the carbs air intake section.If you are really that unsure of all this basic information, you really should have this serviced by an experienced technician or mechanic. Im sure the problem is minor form the sounds of it, but you are apt to do more harm than good if you aren't sure what you are doing on this one lol;-)But I will stick with you if your up to it?Please rate kindly so I can place your question in my priority list since you may need me for a while lol;-)Thanks, ***** ***** you rate I will see that immediately and will send you a note so you knwo how to reach me until we have your generator running like a champ again.Tech Michael
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
thanks think you are right better to call out an expert as its an expensive piece of kit to break !