George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

We have a Hoover HDO725x built in double oven. The bottom oven

We have a Hoover HDO725x built in double oven. The bottom oven works fine, but top oven has stopped working at any setting. Interestingly the lights on the front that indicate the top oven is on have also stopped lighting up. The oven interior light also doesn't switch on.
It seems likely that the element has gone, but would the indicator lights go in that case?
Andy
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 1 year ago.
Andy, I would say that the thermostat at the rear of the selector switch has failed, or the power supply to it from the selector.. This would cause what you are describing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I was expecting a bit more detail, but perhaps this will be enough to set me on the right track. But disappointed to see when I google thermostat for the oven that my question and paid-for answer come up! Perhaps I should have said I hope to source and replace the faulty part myself. That doesn't seem all that easy. So I will probably dismantle the front to have a look at the controllers and then search on a part number.
What information do you need Andy.. I have the technical information on the appliance... This is a two way conversation.. it is no good to just blow your head with info and confuse you.
I can get you the part information.. but first we need to check that this is the part that is gone.. Don't you agree?
Can you understand wiring diagrams?Do you know how to test for power going into the thermostat?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do understand simple wiring diagrams (from Physics A level 40 yrs ago!) and do have a variety of multimeters so could check for current to the thermostat. The first question is how to access the thermostat. I wonder if I will have to take the oven out of the kitchen cabinet housing or if I can get at it from the front.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And fair point about launching in with too much information. I haven't used this website before and am nervous of inadverdently racking up some huge credit card bill!
No extra charge for advice from here forward.. unless you need the Tech Docs for the appliance.. I sent you a Premium Service request for that purpose. Yes squire... Normal route would be to remove the oven from its housing and remove the top cover from it..DISCONNECT MAINS POWER WHILST DOING THIS.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well thank you George.Now I understand how your service works I feel more comfortable. I may have time tomorrow to get the oven out and the lid off and see if power is getting to the thermostat. If necessary I may come back to you to ask where to source the replacement.Kind regards
Andy
Yes, I should be able to give you a single part number.I have Parts Diagrams, Part Numbers, and Wiring Diagram available
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi GeorgeI have tested the power to the thermostat and power to the blue and brown spade connectors gets between 46- 67v depending on the position of the various switches. I have these numbers on it 55.19052.849 and under that 1 0442 T150As the last task, it would be great if you could give me a part number to order a replacement.Kind regards
Andy
Ok, then this infers a problem with the supply to the thermostat rather than the thermostat itself.. The supply should be 240vac.. You will need to test between L2 and N at the terminal block
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks! I will have another look and let you know.
OK
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So I opened up the mains supply and inside that there are two L spades marked 1 and 2, both giving 240v.
Also there is 240v getting to the main oven thermostat. However there is no current to the top oven thermostat unless the main oven is on, in which case it gets 60-90v. I am going to trace the cables through but it really doesn't seem there is anywhere for it to have a faulty connection. So I think I am getting out of my depth and am not likely to find an easy to replace bit.I have had an interesting time exploring the oven and look forward to your comments / advice!Kind regards
Andy
Well, given what you have said and looking at the wiring diagram, I would say that the problem is with the selector switch. If you need a copy of the Wiring diagram etc. Accept the 'Additional Service Request' that has been sent to you. regardsGeorge
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Actually I was about to ask whether it would be worth just putting in a new selector and thermostat unit - that is my inclination.I don't think the wiring diagram would help!Kind regards
Andy
Thermostat can be tested... dip it in boiling water, 100 degs.. test between contacts whilst set for 95 degs... should be off, then as cools should switch on Selector switch is where I think your fault lies.
Please close the query when you are ready.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for that tip about the thermostat - and do you have a part number handy for the selector?fI will close and rate - many thanks.Andy
Can you tell me if the selector for your appliance is knob 1, 2, or 3?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is knob number 2 ie in the middle. The far left is just a rheostat, the far right is the main oven.
Electric thermostat with selector 49005039
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
George, when I searched on the product number you gave me, only KGA supplies came up. I ordered from them but they have returned my money and not replied to my emails and have no phone number. Can you recommend another supplier, please?Kind regards
Andy
Try this
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for getting back to me so promptly.Andy
You are very welcome Andy