Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

I have a singer 7102 sewing machine about 30 years old. The

I have a singer 7102 sewing machine about 30 years old. The foot pedal is not working properly and i want to dismantle it to see if i can repair it. How do I dismantle it?
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am Tech Michael a specialist expert in this field and I will be assisting you today. I am a Master Technician that's dedicated to giving you the best Answer possible.If you are new to the site, this is briefly how it works:1. We may need some back and forth to exchange information (if needed) and there is no extra cost for replying.2. I will give you the best possible Answer for your problem without the ability of actually being present with you.The better you describe the problem, the quicker I can help ;-)3. Remember to leave a Positive Rating ,it doesn't cost anything additional to rate kindly;-)I am only credited for my time and expertise if you rate kindly.The foot pedal is really a replacement part, and not designed to be taken apart especially the one that came with this sewing machine. Its not an expensive part to replace and it is east to get and replace;-) Also the way it works, when it fails, the rheostat coil is wearing down so there is no fix for that;-(The best place to get that replacement foot pedal is: http://www.singermachines.co.uk/sewingmachineparts/You can also call them to order this pedal: CUSTOMER SUPPORT : 0191 2525 825In any case, I will stick with you until this is complete.Please rate my service thus far.EXCELLENT (5 Stars) would be greatly appreciated. Also it is the only way I am credited for my time and expertise with you.Once you rate, I will be notified and will add your question to my priority list so you can reach me anytime until this problem is solved.Then you can reach me by simply replying to this message anytime.Thank you and have a great day!Tech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fifty pounds may seem cheap to you but I could buy a new sewing machine for less than double that. I'm afraid you have not answered the question.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi I believe I did answer it, you really cant fix whats inside this pedal, unfortunately all there is in there is a wire wound rd and a connector brush( piece of metal strip) The wire wound brush will eventually fail as over time the brush that moves along the rod, wears out the wire wound coil, causing loss of connection and maike ing the speed jump and sometimes and eventually no connection at all.I would check with a local vacuum repair shop as most of them also fix sewing machines. In this case you would ask then if they have a cheap economical pedal as a replacement, that would save you some money.If you send me a couple of pics of yoru exact pedal on here I will tell you what to do to open it so you can see for yourself ;-)ThanksTech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'd still like a look inside if you can advise how.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hey from the pics, it loos like you need to pop off the rubber feet, there is likely a fastener below them.Please Don't forget to rate so I can continue, no cost for that.Send me a pic of the bottom once the feet are off.Tech Michael