Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

I have a Bosch freezer GTA20902. The alarm has come on and

I have a Bosch freezer GTA20902. The alarm has come on and the motor fails to operate. I have defrosted the freezer but still no go. There is a periodic faint clicking.
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 1 year ago.
If you put it on to super freeze does the compressor (motor) work? Is the clicking in the motor area?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, super freeze only mutes the alarm. The clicking is very faint and is difficult to hear where it is from.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have just checked the freezer to see if I can locate the clicking and I notice that the compressor is warm. I switched the freezer back on at about 9.00am(2 hours ago)
OK the clicking is a thermal cut out that is mounted upon the compressor (motor) that stops it overheating. This action only happens if the motor is trying to draw more current than it is designed to use. Basically its to stop the motor overheating and causing a fire. It is not a diy project and will require a fridge engineer to come out and have a look at the appliance. I would expect that if you get one in he will indicate that you need to replace the motor, which will cost you at least £185 or perhaps suggest a new chest freezer. It is fairly common these day, as a fridge engineer I guess we change about 5 compressors a week. Would you now kindly rate the information given by selecting from the star rating system at the top of the page, once done all further information requests are free of charge so do come back to me if you need furher advice. Thank you for using JA and sorry to be the supplier of bad news ~ Ian