George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

A NEFF Dishwasher S51M53XoGB/16 stops working after a few minutes.

A NEFF Dishwasher S51M53XoGB/16 stops working after a few minutes. I have checked all filters but the display detail is confusing what settings there should be for H, h, r, b etc
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am Tech Michael a specialist expert in this field and I will be assisting you today. I am a Master Technician that's dedicated to giving you the best Answer possible.If you are new to the site, this is briefly how it works:1. We may need some back and forth to exchange information (if needed) and there is no extra cost for replying.2. I will give you the best possible Answer for your problem without the ability of actually being present with you.The better you describe the problem, the quicker I can help ;-)3. Remember to leave a Positive Rating ,it doesn't cost anything additional to rate kindly;-)I am only credited for my time and expertise if you rate kindly.How old is your Neff Dishwasher?Also please clarify your question? relating to: ***** ***** r, b etc? Thank youTech Michael
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 1 year ago.
Hi Peter, my name is George (UK Expert)... Can you tell me if the appliance completes its initial fill, or does it not fill? regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi George apologies for delay in responding to your offer but spent last few days trying to sort the problem looking at the H, h, d, b, r, b settings with no luck. I can't recognise the various noises and the dishwasher only runs 2 to4minutes with beeping noises before it closes down but never any error code and shows programme finished. Would appreciate any help but would prefer on line rather than telephone. Peter
On the top of the door near to the Enr that you have given me is an FD number.. Can you tell me what the number is ***** Peter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
FD8910 01032
The H, h, d, b, r, b settings will be related to Water Hardness and Rinse Aid etc.. These settings would normally be left at the default settings unless you have specific problems with the water in your area. The User Manual will let you know how to set these. S51M53XoGB/16 User Manual If you open the door, press and hold the start button for 3 secs to reset the appliance, then shut the door and wait for the draining to end. Once the draining has ended, open the appliance and check that there is no water left at the bottom of the tub. If there is no water there then set an new program and wait for the beeps you have described.. Open the door and tell me if you have water in the bottom of the tub and if so, how much water.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have followed the processes on pages 6 and 16 and 17 In the manual but it does not indicate what the settings should be but all my trials have made no change. I do wonder if the AquaStop is the problem. When you say water in the bottom, the salt holder is full of water but none if any on the floor of dishwasher. The waste water filter access only has half an inch in there. I think waste pump is working but doubt if much inlet water comes in. I do not use salt as we have a water softener for all water into the house.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I held reset button 3 secs started again 2 hrs 30 mins. It ran for 3mins with whirling few secs, then waste pump few secs red light and beeping, this happened 3mins and light went off opened the door display showed the 0.00 as finishedDishwasher floor was damp some sign of water on spray arm.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not received any suggestion on the answers to your questions in 2 hours!
Like I said.. Those settings are for the rinse-aid etc... They will make no effect to your problem. They will only effect washing results, and it will depend on the type of water you have in your area. Ok.. Thank you for that excellent description... I want you to do this again.. but this time I want you to open the door midway so that you can see if any water actually entered the appliance. If no water entered the appliance then I am thinking that it is a result of failure in the water control system, ie. the Aquastop valve, flow meter, water level sensor; if water did enter the tub, then I am thinking that it is a result of no heater action or no wash pump action. I am trying to go through this without throwing too much at you at once.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks George different result. To begin with no water on base and top bar no dampness tried it a minute or so later water on base to slightly above height of waste filter holder say about 1inch deep water, top spray damp and lower spay both wet. Waste pump started and after that the programme ceased. Hope this helps
Ok, in this case I am suspecting one of two issues.. either water in the base or a faulty water level sensor.So, is the appliance out of its housing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not been able to move the unit yet the screws to steady it are like Allan key and only just found one in the garage, a bit small but it did work and started to lower it to drag it out
Ok, once you have it out of the housing, tilt it to the rear slightly to see if water comes from the rear.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have now managed to take it out, tipped it back no sign of water coming out. If you want me to remove left side panel not sure how it is held in I could pull it out on the back vertical edge but I think it is screwed in somewhere
To remove the side panels you need to remove the lid. The door of the appliance needs to be opened to find two or three torx screws down the edge of each side panel.. There is one screw under the lid on each panel, and one or two screws at the rear edge of each panel.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did find 1 torx but too small so can't do more today so will leave you in peace till tomorrow to see if the others are in my boat or go to Machine Market who will. Thanks for your help today it really does help me
Peter
You are very welcome Peter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did find a screwdriver that just fitted the screw and removed the left panel. I repeated your test seeing what it did.
At the end of the test the Check water supply was displayed together with for the very first time Error Code E 14 which might help.
I will send more details on Monday
Peter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My test was limited and the manual says disconnect from power supply so not able to do another as they say it could totally damage the machine. I have asked NEFF what E 14 error code is but no answer.
What would you want me to do after taking off that panel.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
George should still be helping, let me know if you need my assistance;-)Tech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry to delay you but was in the office and didn't see your response on IPad
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi were you still working with George or woudl you like to continue with me?Tech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was expecting George to carry on but not heard from him so appreciate any Ideas you have
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
That's fine I will be happy to assist, But I will be off here until late this afternoon. I will reply then if thats ok.Thank you for your patience.Tech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Michael that's fine many thanks
Peter
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
;-)
Hi Peter, sorry, I have been out on call all day today... E14 is telling you that there is a flow sensor fault... This can be a problem with the reed switch, the wiring to the reed switch, or the pcb.
You will need to replace the reed switch which is part numberReed-switch for flow-meterProduct ID00611317Peter, can I ask you to rate the assistance at this point..
Experience: A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks George it makes sense and I am ordering it. Just one more question towards the top top left there is a a 2 inch square thing with a water channel going down. Only mention it as that looks brown gunge around it. You have been a great help and deserve a great score
Peter
If you can photograph the part and post it here I can try identify it for you. regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Apologies for the delay not my day the Broadband Internet broke down for a couple of hours. I have attached a photo of the water module and near top left is the brownish gunge inside the roughly 2in square thing.
I think the reed switch for flow meter is just above the thin pipe going in at the bottom roughly in the middle with two wires connected to it. I have ordered the replacement and assume that it is a plastic flap over it but it does look fairly solid, do I just pull it up?
The plastic retaining corner piece has a screw at its rear .. This needs to be removed before you can remove the tank
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I have to remove the whole plastic module to get at it. At present I can't see any screw.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't understand where the plastic retaining corner piece at its rear is. Is that the large white plastic block which holds the top back of the left panel which I removed earlier, removal of that would help to slide the plastic water module upward presumably having disconnected the water pipes at the bottom.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Apologies for this but have adapted the previous photo the green lines are what I thought were water channels the red bit top white must be something in those channels. The Arrow 1 is what I think is the Reed Switch, arrow 11 is where there is a brownish gunge, Arrow 111 appears to go into the dishwasher with a large round 3" plastic plate with large holes for water to pass through. The two little arrows are plastic clips to the stainless steel that the panel clips to. Hope this makes sense.
On the image you have posted it looks like the reed switch is at position 1 I wouldn't worry too much about the brown staining.. this is common.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have now received the Reed Switch together with installation instructions (attached). This implies that whilst it comes with a plastic holding thing, I think all I have to do is slightly lift up a plastic flap, slide out the existing small PCB and slide in the new one, no need to take out the whole water module.
Any thoughts you might have would be appreciated
Just viewed the scan.. Excellent.. As suggested.. position 1 on your photo. You need to unscrew the piece on the interior of the tub at position III that retains the tank in place. Pull the tank towards you and then upwards to remove the tank, and then replace the part from the rear side if memory serves me correctly. Don't forget to then place the wiring back on otherwise you'll have the same problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi George GOOD NEWS
I managed to get the old Reed switch out under the flap which looked as though the wire through the switch was broken and joints to PCB a bit iffy! (but didn't have to move the plastic moulding) and replaced the new reed switch properly following the installation instructions . I couldn't wait but decided to try it while partner was out shopping. The machine came into full life doing everything as normal no Error Code and it went on over 30 mins lots of activity until I stopped to have a look, hot steam came out through the open door no water on the floor. I think it really is working properly and ready and raring to go. so I'm putting all the trims back on.
I have to say I couldn't have done this without all your help you really made me think. A million thanks for identifying the reed switch as the culprit whereas as none of the others got anywhere near it. Of course I will be giving Maximum stars and if the note comes up again when I end, I will give you a good tip, the reed costing £18 whereas our worst thoughts were £500 for a new dishwasher!! Many many thanks indeed. I see there is a button for review and will try that singing your praises.
Best Wishes
Peter
I'm elated Peter.. and you are very welcome. I hope it serves you well for a few more years yet. Kind regardsGeorge