Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

We had a Siemens RCR10/433 hardwired into our Vaillant ecoPlus

Customer Question

We had a Siemens RCR10/433 hardwired into our Vaillant ecoPlus 831 combo boiler. Unfortunately, I dropped and broke the Siemens receiver. I ordered and installed a Vaillant timeswitch 160 and I STILL cannot get the heating to come on. We've had n heating for a week now and we're freezing to death in our own home. Any suggestions?
Glenys
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi Glenys,have you reset the receiver and the main unit so they pair correctly and can communicate together?ThanksTech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The receiver is broken and won't work at all.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** order a new receiver?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I ordered a timeswitch 160 digital timer instead, hoping to replace the Siemens thermostat which didn't work very well anyway.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi lol, I understand. Ok, to fix this you will need a new receiver its the part at the boiler, if that is what you broke, or did you mean initially the transmitter(Thermostat)?
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
I need to be sure as Im a bit confused. All there shoudl be is the transmitter(tstat) and the receiver board at the boiler, which is bad I thought the receiver at the boiler and that you replaced the transmitter?Please clear this up so I can help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now, I'm confused. I've attached picture of bit that I smashed. The other bit (wired into the boiler), should still be working, it just doesn't have anything to communicate with.
So, as it was a terrible system anyway, I bought the timeswitch 160, hoping to replace it altogether with something that works better for us.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks that is the transmitter not the receiver. Is there something also wrong with the receiver as you were calling it?Or is it just that the new transmitter (pic) isn't communicating with the receiver at the boiler?If so, did you follow the pairing instructions that came with the Tstat?Thank youTech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pairing instructions???? I want to get rid of the receiver too. The whole Siemens receiver/transmitter thing was terrible. It would often lose communication with each other. It was an ugly transmitter that we had to have hanging around the house all the time, never able to program it for weekends or holidays, I always hated it, so when I smashed it, I thought good, I'll replace it with something better, hence the Vaillant timeswitch 160, which is what I want to replace the Siemens stuff.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi LMAO!
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
I gotcha now
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
What I woudl so, since I am not fond of the Siemens units either for obvious reasons.You can use any system you want for this. The cheaper the better. You can wire in a new receiver at the boiler and use the accompanying receiver (wireless) Thermostat its really simple to do as well;-)Such as this one: https://products.ecc.emea.honeywell.com/europe/ecatdata/pg_y6630d.htmlThere are many other oth there. I woudl visit a local home improvement store (the bigger the better) or even a hardware store will have these systems, they hook up easily as well to the boiler.The newest ones also have WIFi lol. In any case, I will stick with you until this is complete.Please rate my service thus far.EXCELLENT (5 Stars) would be greatly appreciated. Also it is the only way I am credited for my time and expertise with you.Once you rate, I will be notified and will add your question to my priority list so you can reach me anytime until this problem is solved.Then you can reach me by simply replying to this message anytime.Thank you and have a great day!Tech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, got one of those too although never even sure if it works!! We inherited it, only seems to do sweet fa.
Are you saying that we still have to have something wired in? Was the Vaillaint timeswitch 160 a waste of time and money??
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi, the only part you need to wire, is the new receiver , but there are only a few wires to connect;-) Its a pretty simple design.I will help anyway once you have one you like. They also come with excellent instructions for hook up to any boiler;-)Please rate kindly at this time so I can stick with you all the way.Thank youTech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This doesn't make any sense. The whole reason why I bought the timeswitch is because it plugs directly into the boiler, hence should make the wired in Siemens thing totally invalid. Why do I need a new receiver?
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi Im sorry can you send me a pic of the part you plugged into the boiler the time switch and also may I have the model # ***** that part?
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
the part you sent me the pic of looks like the tstat.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
A time switch is not a wireless controller in most cases receiver.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am really confused now and we seem to be going in circles.
Siemens wired in, ugly, transmitter/receiver unit - broken, needs replacing.
Honeywell thing - never really used, don't even know if it works.
Vaillant plug in - bought in the hope of replacing the Siemens but can't get it to turn the heating on........So now I'm wondering if the Vaillant was a total waste of money, if what you are telling me, is that I need to buy another transmitter/receiver anyway
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is from the Vaillant website "The timeSWITCH 160 can be used with all Vaillant ecoTEC boilers and mounts directly into the front of the boiler without the need for any wiring. This timer gives you control of your central heating and domestic hot water with a timed programming function. With the added option of up to three programme times per day, seven days a week, for added flexibility and comfort."
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi if your original receiver is good as I suspect, you can simply replace the wireless part (the transmitter Thermostat) and Pair it so the thermostats signals reach the receiver at the boiler so it can turn the boiler on and off as per requests from the thermostat Transmitter. Does any of that make sense?I can send you an offer for a phone call from me so we can straighten this all out.Please accept that if you woudl like a call now.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi then yes your time switch receives info from the wireless controllers Thermostats;-) if that makes sense, But I need to know if you simply are having a problem with the one thermostat not seeming to work ?I think we aren't communicating clearly, did you want to replace the entire system with regards ***** ***** thermostat in the rooms and the receiver at the boiler etc?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is frustrating. I simply want the new timeswitch to turn my central heating on when I've programmed it to. I have no desire to have multiple thermostats, receivers, transmitters etcI'm not paying another £8 for a phone call.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi you can replace that part as well with any one you really want that is compatible with the one at the boiler.But you will also need new thermostats, one for each one like you have now. Does that make sense?If you only have 1 then you only need a new tie switch and its compatible wireless controller transmitter Thermostat (all those words describe that part).Honeywell's are excellent but there are many more and Im sure you can find one locally at any plumbing heating supply or better yet most local home improvement and hardwares stores carry these systems and they are really easy to hook in.I hope that helps, and I can get more specific if you need me to, but this is a simple replacement of the time switch. I apologize fro the confusion, sometimes it gets that way here by the use of different words and terms for around the world for the same devices lol;-)Thank youTech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't understand how this is getting more confusing!!
So, I think you are saying that I need to replace the broken receiver and that the timeswitch was a complete waste of money, despite what the Vaillant website says.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi No, if the time switch contains the receiver as well, then yes you need a new one as well. All you sent me that a picture of the thermostat the part that goes int he room I believe if that is NOT correct please correct me.The receiver is the part that sets the room temp correct? If so then you meant, the Transmitter not the receiver.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I don't really think we're getting anywhere. I think I will have to contact Vaillant directly and see what they say.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi Im sorry that you and I don't connect well lol;-) If you need me for anything else Im here for you. Please rate kindly so I can close this for you, I will also put this on in for a refund for you;-) Thank you and have a wonderful weekend.Tech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have now given you a rating, please don't forget to issue the refund for me. Thank you