George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

There! My Siemans fridge freezer E-NR KA58NA40GB/09 FD8811

Customer Question

Hi there! My Siemans fridge freezer E-NR KA58NA40GB/09 FD8811 has started leaking from the ice tray. On closer inspection, the ice maker seems to have stopped producing ice and what little ice there is left is melting; I think that the freezer part has stopped functioning. There is no warning light and the temperature indicator still says -17. Can you help please?
Ben
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 9 months ago.
Hi Ben, can you tell me can you see any ice at the back panel of the freezer behind the freezer drawers? Can you also tell me if the fan is running in the freezer?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi George. The ice has completely melted away and the fan is running. However, the freezer itself seems to be working as the contents are still frozen.
Do you have a separate thermometer Ben, one that you can place in the freezer to test the internal temperature?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi George. No unfortunately. I can tell you just by putting my hand in the ice box that it's higher temperature than the freezer. There's no ice being produced. Could it also be a problem with the water pipe?
That would not cause the ice to defrost... I am wondering if the sensor for the Ice tray/box is defective. Can you access a thermometer from anywhere?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I could pop into Robert Dyas this afternoon. I'm thinking that it might be easier to get someone in to actually look at it however. The fridge is about 10 years old and having me rooting around in it makes me feel a little uncomfortable.
Well, that is something only you can decide Ben.. Although it is a sensible idea. If the sensor is faulty, The defrost will stay on longer, the compressor would be off longer, and whatever ice is in the tray would turn to water and empty into the bucket.. No Ice. But, when it freezes again the bucket would have a solid block of ice rather than ice cubes.
Either way Ben, you can come back I am here if you need me, leave me a message if you need further advice.. Please remember to close the query and rate my assistance to you. regards
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks George.
You are very welcome Ben.
Did you get a thermostat Ben?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No George. The freezer has now packed up so there's no need. I bought it through ***** ***** so will contact them for a recommended repair. Thanks!
Thanks for letting me know Ben.. I would appreciate a rating for the time spent discussing this with you.