Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Gas cooker specialist
46681511

Just checked my boiler and needle is on red. Normally in green

just checked my boiler and needle is on red. Normally in green area between 1 and2. Also think it is dripping outside overflow. Help!!
If it is dripping outside then you will need a new PRV fitting.You should try and repressurise the boiler and keep it going until Monday when it will be cheaper for an engineer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do I repressurise the boiler? Do I open the water inlet valve. I have done this once before when the pressure was low and the needle then began to rise but needle is in red area. Should the boiler have automatically cut out? I am 67 years old and know nothing about a boiler.
Depends on the make and model, usually the heating shuts off less than 0.25bar.See if you can get the pressure back up to 1 bar to get your heating back on until Monday
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do I get the pressure back up pls?
Is there a silver flexible pipe attached to the copper pipework under the boiler?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
silver flexible pipe is on side not underneath. Had switched boiler off in a panic when it was in the red area. Needle has dropped back slightly. Will it continue to drop back if I leave it off? Needle near 3.
If at 3 bar then the valve will drip outside as this is the safety valve.When you turn it back what pressure does it run at?
It should be set at about 1.5bar
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what do you mean by turn it back? Do you mean turn it back on as it is off at the moment. It is normally at 1.5
Yes, turn it on and tell me what happens to the pressure gauge
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
needle going back towards red
Has the filling loop been left on?Is it still dripping outside?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
needle in red area and outlet still dripping
So the needle drops when on but rises when off?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. Other way round. It has risen now it is back on. It only dropped back a little when I switched it off. If it would drop while on I would be much happier and warmer.
That's ok due to the pump being on, it creates system pressure.It is only a problem if near 3bar, then it drips outside.You may have a circulation problem down to a number of issues like water quality, but you should be safe to leave on until you can get someone out Monday.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you sure? I don't want to damage boiler and end up with a costlier call out as I am on a small pension. The other worrying thing is that the temp is at 70 and rising
Turn down the thermostat on the boiler to 3/4 if you are worried.There are many built in safety features to prevent your boiler being dangerous.