Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

Having trouble with a Stoves Richmond 900E cooker. Induction

Having trouble with a Stoves Richmond 900E cooker. Induction rings not working. Seem to be getting an error code (31 08 11 2C - seems to be talking to me in hex!)
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 1 year ago.
Can you give me the product code please - an long numerical number on the rating label ~ Ian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mod No:###-##-####Ser No: 70616169
Thanks for that, you will have to leave it with me for a couple of hours, I am a Stoves engineer but that model does not come up on my data base so I have had to request technical advice from Head Office. I can see that many parts are available but need to find out what the error codes mean to see if bits are available to cure this. ~~ Ian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fantastic. The D&G engineer said the part was no longer available. I have speculated and ordered "Stoves Induction Unit (Cable 750) for###-##-####(ES918202)" from espares.co.uk to see if they can race one (are there salvage yards for old cookers?!).
Quick one ~ you have put a ( prior to the number in the error code, was that just to in error?
OK that code indicates that the touch control pcb is faulty, I just have to check on the serial number to see if this part is still available ~ Ian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have successfully cancelled part I had ordered. Let me know about touch control PCB when you know. Whereabouts are you located?
OK I have spoken to my technical manager about this and the problem is that one of two boards are not communicating which means either there is a problem with the cable connecting them or one or both pcbs are duff. The suggestion is that you initially take the glass top off and then check the ribbon connections between the two pcbs. Once you have done this power off at the wall, give it about 5 mins and reconnect the power and tell me what you get.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. Not sure who to do that but perhaps I should get the D&G engineer back. He said it was an object (not a connection between objects) that had gone and was irreplaceable, but I do not think he saw the error code that I have reported. How would we know which end has the problem if re-seating the connectors does not do the trick?
Not wishing to teach you how to suck eggs but make sure the parts are available before doing that - the most likely part is this part number###-##-####Induction Unit which is listed at £331 + VAT so likely D&G would deem it BER anyway.
Do you require further assistance?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Sorry, just thinking I can see it might be BER for D&G but I am facing a £1K replacement cost so our perspectives differ considerably. I'd be happy to get both ends (ideally on a returns basis if not required) and then get D&G to attend to replace the dysfunctional part. Or could I just give D&G a £400 budget to fix it? Just giving up and replacing the whole stove seems too much like a "disposable society" matter. Wat would you suggest? Happy to provide tea and chocolate digestives ;-)
OK I am familiar with D&G and the way they work, are you covered by an existing policy or have you just taken out a policy to cover this repair? If an existing policy then you should get a like for like replacement.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I rang Stoves and they sold me this policy to cover the fault I was reporting. Much small print but I assume they don't want to do more on a 6 month policy (£120).
Is there any way I can buy the part and then get someone to fit it? It seems a pity to trash the stove for a £330 part?
OK as you have already guessed the policy is actually provided by D&G and you may find that they have to be in operation for 30 days before they come into operation or that there is a fixed price repair up to an amount of say 100 pounds. Obviously if the cost of the repair is way in excess of the payment they will either write it off and give you your money back or BER it. The further problem that you have is that it is a 9 year old appliance with limited spare parts. At this point we have part numbers but aren't sure that Stoves still have them in stock - I will check that out for you tomorrow as they were unable to tell me at Head Office today, only that the part is still listed. Your conundrum is that even if we get the spares if something else goes wrong you have the same problem again. Leave it with me until tomorrow and then we are in a position of knowing the options ~ Ian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I was a lad, things used to last for decades. It's very suspicious that the induction went after a bloke changed the grill and tried to open it up. I suspect a cable has come loose. I expect bulbs and grills to go with time. Even fans. But unless badly designed, power transistors, inductors, and processors should last quite a long time.And my '03 Mondeo is doing very nicely and unlike the snazzy cars I used to have, has not been stolen or vandalized.So, I'm prepared to take a gamble and hope that once fixed, I can reasonably expect another 8-10 years use. Might buy a spare sets of fans and bulbs though ;-)
Like you I'm old school but unfortunately the European market has for the last twenty years or so been price focused due in the main part to customers demanding more for less. As my Mother used to say 'you get what you pay for' Candidly these days you are lucky if you get 5 years out of most things, many much less and in an odd case or two you have no spare part support at all. I have a test rig in the workshop that was used for calibrating the thermostats of dry/steam irons - no-one repairs them these days. With regard to you thinking you might get ten years or so out of the repaired appliance ~ not a hope they aren't built to last, price not longevity. Was the engineer that came out from Stoves?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To some extent I agree but on the other hand, modern cars last longer nowadays than they did twenty years ago. Mercedes has built its brand on durability and reliability. I fear I should have bought a German made stove. My old Vaillant boiler lasted over twenty years (and was still working when I sold the house). But yes, consumers are often penny-wise pound-foolish. What make of car would you like?Stoves did not offer me their own service engineer but signed me up to D&G. I would not say he exhibited any intimate knowledge of the machine (nor did he leave any paperwork).
I dont disagree with your Mercedes illustration but you pay the price for their reliability not only upfront but during its lifespan. Oh the other hand Bosch have factories in Germany, Spain & China so let the buyer beware. So to reiterate, let me see if the part is available and then you can make an educated decision.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Today I tried the induction rings on low power, and they worked and I gradually ramped them both up and they still worked. My inclination is to suspect a connector had not been pushed back completely which means I am living on a knife edge but right now, everything is working. Did the error code relate to communications between the touch panel PCB and the induction unit PCB?Dither.Yes, I knew Bosch had factories all over the place (like Siemens). I designed CAN bus (designed by Bosch) into products for years and a very solid design it was too.
Yes it did as mentioned earlier. I would be taking a look at this connector you can probably reach it with the power off by taking off the back cover and doing it from underneath if you dont want to take the top off. I had a response back from head office later yesterday and they confirm that they have no stock of the required item. So check out the cables and see how you get on. I think I have gone as far as I can so I would be grateful if you would rate the information given by selecting from the star ratings at the top of the page. You can come back to me anytime on a foc basis once done. Thank You for using JA and good luck ~ Ian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Feel guilty about using this service FOC as you seem to have gone far beyond that.
But will definitely do the ratings thing.
Best wishes,
Bill