Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

Lavamat W 1159 washing machine. Has while been 'rocking'

Lavamat W 1159 washing machine. Has for a while been 'rocking' when doing a wash. Had to recently move in order to put new flooring down. Washing / rinse / spin lights on before selecting required programme. Can hear faint noise but no water pumped. Help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The make is AEG. After 5 to 10 minutes, the 'END' indicator flashes,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The 'faint noise' is seemingly 'electrical'.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Payment made. As yet, no help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can't even open door to retrieve washing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Seems the door becomes operational eventually. Please don't leave me feeling been 'had'.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Has the washer stopped full of water?Is the faint humming noise coming from the bottom right corner? Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello DanielNo water is 'fed' into the machine. I've noticed all seems ok until I press start. After 5 seconds I would normally hear running water then see the tank fill up. Now after 5 seconds, the door indicator comes on (but the door remains locked). The sound is merely the background electronics I guess.David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The 'Door' indicator stays permanently on for 10 minutes, then the 'End' indicator blinks.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Ok what happens if you select just a spin only? Can you hear the pump running?Does the drum turn?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll try. Also, after above, door remains locked until switched off/on from the wall.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It drum does turn.
I think I can hear the pump (a chugging noise at least).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The drum...
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Ok so if it works on the spin but not the wash cycle then its possibley a filling issue. Pull the washer out again and remove the fill hose form the back of the washer.Then aim it into a bucket and turn the water supply for the washer back on and see if the water comes gushing out from there. If its just trickling in then its a water supply fault here. But if the water is fine then look at the valve the hose screws to and there you will see a filter screen in there, See if this is all clogged up. If so use a pair of pilers and pull it out and give it a good clean out from there. Then retry it and see how it goes from there. But if all that's fine and its not putting water in still then you need to remove the top and test the water valve with a multi meter and see if faulty. If so then you need to replace it. But try the above and see what you find and let me know. Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hate to sound daft. Would it be filled from hot or cold tap. It was a workman who moved machine recently. When I (seemingly) try to cut off water supply from tap, it gushes through what must be unsealed 'double screw'.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
It should be connected to cold fill on the plumbing side of it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it possible the workman turned feed 'off' as convinced I did and it was gushing out when unscrewed?
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
To be honest if the washer was working ok before it was pulled out and now not then im thinking myself that the water feed is turned off. If you start a wash cycle and open the dispenser drawer can you hear a humming noise from that area?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Seems to be working. Can only assume workman disconnected 'feed'. We live and learn I guess. Worried, I looked up internet quote - £139. Thanks workman! But truly, thank you. I should have worked that out (and not trusted workman). Thanks again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That said, no suds. I'll keep you posted if help needed next couple of days. Thanks, David.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Nice one glad to hear that's sorted it. Fingers crossed that's sorted it. If you could remember to rate the answer that would be great. You can still get back to me on this if you need more help as that isn't an issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ps. The waste pipe connection? It shouldn't gush through 'double-screw' when valve turned? Will be rating positively.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I don't understand what you mean by double screw? Is it the waste pipe you have issue with now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not so much an issue. All seems ok but I turned the valve under the hot tap and water seemingly spurted between screw thats meant to be water tight. I guess I need to inspect with water mains switched off (and then seal).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The screw connects / takes waste from machine.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
I think I now what you mean now. It waters coming out from the tap part then its usually a worn seal in there. For this the tap it self will need to be replaced as its a seal unit.So the mains water will need to be turned off before you can replace this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To be honest. Hot water tap - valve - waste pipe connected to mains pipe - used water drains away. The valve is turned closed but when opened, waste pipe / mains pipe connection, gushes, surely not right?
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Are you talking about the hot water tap?Is there anything connected to it?If not then when you turn the tap then water will gush out as that's normal. If you don't use the hot water then leave the tap closed. Or if you want to be safe you can buy a blanking nut. Its a brass cap you screw onto the hot water supply so if the tape did get turned on by mistake then it wont leak. Is that what you mean?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Think so. Underneath sink, don't know why but 'valve' in piping below hot tap (as with cold). This directly above where waste from machine is connected to mains. This can remain closed but (when accidentally opened) indicated the seal for waste / mains ain't water tight.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
That tap is just like a sink tap. What you turn it on water comes out so that's normal the tap under there. Just leave it turned off and water shouldn't come out from it. But as I said you can get blanking caps you can you fit on there for added safety.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.