Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

I have a Bosch combi oven HBC84E653B/38 which is 3 years old

I have a Bosch combi oven HBC84E653B/38 which is 3 years old and developed a fault where the microwave function although appearing to switch on as normal (light goes on and time starts running down) but goes off after between 10 and 20 seconds but does not heat the product within. The fan oven and other functions appear to work ok. The fault appeared to happen when 4 sharp beeps rang out although no error codes appeared in the display. Looking at advice on the web it sounds as if something major has gone wrong. I'm tempted to get Bosch to send out an engineer but their call out cost is £95 plus parts and if it's a magnetron, inverter or main PCB then this could be rather expensive - should I consider replacement (also expensive)? Can I have missed something more simple (I did read their manual)?
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 1 year ago.
In your situation I would take a chance and change the magnetron yourself, its a relatively easy thing to do, One out one in marking up the wires before you do it and it should cost you around £35http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Panasonic-Microwave-Magnetron-2M236-M42-Brand-New-Genuine-Product-Top-Quality-/220943085640?hash=item33713bf048:m:mGYWdGjKXwIOifs-fBcF5_w If you do it yourself the worst thing that has happened is that you spent £35 - if you need help doing it, thats what we're here for - Ian