canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience:  Plumber
64367226

Just popped to see my mother.she lives in a complex thats 4

Customer Question

Just popped to see my mother.she lives in a complex thats 4 years old and one of her Dimplex duoheat radiators is making a buzzing noise. Any ideas what it ciukd be?
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 9 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. Are these electric, baseboard radiators?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It is an electric one. I'm not sure what you mean by baseboard radiator
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
She has two rads its just one thats buzzing
Are they operated by different thermostat controls or the same control? I saw in your description that they were radiators and was wondering if they were the electric, baseboard type.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
they have their own on radiatir control they are not linked
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The touch + and - thats it
Do you have the model number of the radiator? There are several types of Dimplex heaters....I may be imagining something different than you have.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Can i send u a pic?
Sure, that would be great!
Is it like this? click here
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No. Have u git the pucs i sent?
Got em. Shall view now.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Any joy?
Are there two power supplies connected to each? Does the humming one seem to heat and function as well as the not humming one? Sorry for the delay....was thinking.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Just one mains to the unit in the pics. Its only one thats buzzing. It still works but is rattling.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The radiators are in different rooms
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Yes both rads are functioning well
The one in the other room only has one power supply also?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
This pic is the other rad. It has a single power supply and works fune no noise
Hmmm.....there should be power connected at both ends but surely they must be in the same conduit or hidden well. They would not function well without. Do you have the manual? Are the settings the same? There are some background settings that if they were different may cause the issue too.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have gently hit the noisy radiator and eventually believe it or not the buzzing has now faded away. I was going to send you a sound file of the buzzing.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have gently hit the noisy radiator and eventually believe it or not the buzzing has now faded away. I was going to send you a sound file of the buzzing. I have just been told that it comes and goes
Well....everyone knows that step one of technical troubleshooting is a gentle rap followed by stronger raps! The issue may be a few things, possibly it is not quite level or could be a failing control. May have just been a restriction in the circulation that needed to be dislodged. Could also be a mount that is not completely secure and causing some vibration noise. My best guess is some vibration was causing the noise and the mount may just need a tweek.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
??
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Its come back i'll recid it
Does the noise seem to come from one of the mounts or the bottom? Instead of rapping it try pushing gently or pulling gently on the unit where it is not hot. Does the sound change?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Its come back i cant record it. Could it be some sort if relay
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Im my opinion and im not a rad person. Could it be a relay that kicks in and then when the radiator reaches the correct heat it switches off? Would the radiator have a relay?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Im my opinion and im not a rad person. Could it be a relay that kicks in and then when the radiator reaches the correct heat it switches off?
Could be the pump inside.....could be a lot of internal components really. Hopefully we can avoid surgery. What happens when pulling or pushing gently, does the noise change or remain consistent?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
There no water in it its a storage heater i cannot tell if its from the top or bottom
Does the noise change at all when pushing or pulling gently?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No the radiator us very securly fitted against the wall there is no movment
How old are the radiators and is the noise a new issue or was it always there?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
4 years and the noise has appeared over the last 5 weeks
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I think we are not going to get this resolved without getting someone out Mike thank you for your time
I surely was hoping that it would be simple but it is certainly seeming that it will require some surgery by a professional. Could be a few things and most likely a failing thermostat. It basically is a big heater element and some sort of heat storing material. The noise is happening when the element is heating and going away when the storage heat is being used. The thermostat would have to be tested with an Ohm meter to start with.
Btw, you mentioned a failing relay but I do believe it is mostly controlled by printed circuit board and it very well may be a failing capacitor on the circuit board. My original thought was that the thermostat controller may have been sized incorrectly for a totally different type of heater (I also originally imagined a baseboard heater rather than the radiator type) and the noise on that type of heater would be similar for that specific issue. The capacitor on the PCB is a power storage device and if it is failing and not storing the correct power then that could be the cause also....my most likely culprit now that I am thinking more about it. Truly it will need some surgery to be determined exactly but failed capacitors are so very common and cause these types of issues.