Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I have a Zanussi ZRB638FW although still cold freezer is not

Customer Question

I have a Zanussi ZRB638FW although still cold freezer is not reaching low temperature low enough to freeze new products.Have tried altering temp controller as suggested in the manual to no avail.
Can you suggest anything,
David ODonoghue
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Hi Is the fridge section still working ok?If you open the freezer door and look at the top on the front you will see a vent. Shine a torch in there and see if theres a build up on ice in there and let me know. Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The fridge section seems to be working.
The vent you described seems clear.The top shelf of the freezer seems cold enough but the bottom two do not.
I have not heard the compressor kick in for some time
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Ok I don't think this is anything to do with the compressor as the same compressor does the fridge. What happens a lot on these is ice builds up inside the freezer around the fan and this stops the fan from working so when this happens the air circulation inside the freezer is lost so it keeps things frozen a bit but its not cold to freeze anything new. What you need to do on this is either empty the freezer and remove the plastic housing unit in there at the top.Then you need to melt all the ice in there. But be carefull not to break a pipe in there as its very tight in there. Now this isn't the easyist job even for a trained engineer as its very tight in there and hardly no room to work in. The easyist way for this is a 24 hours defrost. Turn the complete appliance off and leave the freezer door open for 24 hours. This will allow the ice to melt in there and clear the fan. But for this the fridge section will also go off. But this is the easyist way to do it. Then hopefully this will be back to normal from there. But if after that its still the same and it didn't work then its more then likely the fan motor inside the freezer at fault on this which will need to be replaced. But try the above as 8 times out of 10 its ice blocking it up and the defrost cures it. If you need anymore info just get back to me. Regards
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Hi Just wondering how you got on with the appliance as the question is still open? Do you still need help on this? If so just get back to me.If not then to close the question you just need to rate the answer by clicking the star ratings at the top of the page. Regards