George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

What does the red warning light on a Bosch Fridge / Freezer indicate. Switching off / on

What does the red warning light on a Bosch Fridge / Freezer indicate. Switching off / on takes the warning away for a while.
.
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 1 year ago.
Hi Valerie, It indicates that the temperature in the freezer or fridge is too high
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does that mean the thermostat is not working
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you there?
Sorry, it takes me a while to type.. It could mean that the thermostat is not working, or that there is a problem with the freezing of the freezer.. The fan blocked with ice, the evaporator frozen over, lack of refrigerant. Can you tell me the Enr from the label inside the fridge compartment please.. regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I can't see any label. The freezer is set to -18 Deg and the fridge at +6 Deg
Is there any ice showing behind the trays of the freezer?Are the fans working in the fridge and freezer (If they exist)?Is the compressor at the rear of the appliance Hot or Warm?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There was some ice below the 2nd drawer in the freezer. Not very much but we have just cleared that. The fan in the fridge is also clear so I assume it is OK and the 'drip' outlet seems ok no excess water in fridge.. I don't know when the fan actual comes on.. Sorry not easy to get behind the appliance at the moment. When I put the power off and back on the warning light does not come on for a while (its been about half an hour since) I put it off and on.
What I would suggest is, if you are able, defrost the appliance for 24hrs with the doors open and some towels down to soak water away... This will give you a fresh prospective on the status of the appliance.. Once you turn the appliance on after defrosting, it should take a number of hours to get to normal temperature... If possible, use thermometers in the appliance cavities to check the true temperatures Please rate the assistance given.. Once you have completed those tests and checked the temperature of the compressor, feel free to come back to me to discuss any further issues that remain. kind regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure that is going to work as there is no frosting in either fridge or freezer to defrost. When the warning is not on the freezer is cold - it seems to stop freezing when the light comes on. Would that be more likely to indicate a lack of refrigerant?
I can not see the build of the appliance.. That is what I wanted the Enr for, however: behind the rear panel inside the freezer on most good quality fridge freezers is a fan; this fan could be stuck or frozen... Likewise, there is also an evaporator; if the evaporator becomes frozen up, the air can not flow through it to create enough cooling to the freezer section. If it were a shortage of refrigerant, normally the compressor would be running hot.. depending on the type of refrigerant being used. The problem could also be faulty sensors.
Experience: A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We did try the de- frost. No improvement - in fact lead to a permanent alarm light. However today we are back where we started and I guess there really wasn't much you could do. Thanks for trying.