George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

Timer, ignition and oven not working on Hotpoint EG74x coo

Customer Question

Timer, ignition and oven not working on Hotpoint EG74x cooker
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am Tech Michael a specialist expert in this field and I will be assisting you today. I am a Master Technician that's dedicated to giving you the best Answer possible.If you are new to the site, this is briefly how it works:1. We may need some back and forth to exchange information (if needed) and there is no extra cost for replying.2. I will give you the best possible Answer for your problem without the ability of actually being present with you.The better you describe the problem, the quicker I can help ;-)3. Remember to leave a Positive Rating ,it doesn't cost anything additional to rate kindly;-)I am only credited for my time and expertise if you rate kindly.How old is your Oven ?Are you sure you wired it correctly?And do you have a meter for some tests to see where the power stops abruptly?Thank youTech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cooker/oven about 7 years old.
Yes wired correctly and I have a meter.
As I previously said, the feed is live at the timer clock and at the ignition. I've foolishly neglected to check the feed at the elements of the ovens.
The cooker in question is a duel fuel with double oven.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dave, it sounds like you have lost a neutral somewhere. If you have looked at the rear of the timer you should find the live in at L and the neutral connection at N.. Can you check that there is 240v at that point.. Then, making sure that the clock is set on Manual, test between N and 1 to see if you have 240v there too.. I would offer you the phone call as requested but that would rate the earlier expert rather than myself. I have the wiring in-front of me, but it is in loom form. If you rate my assistance I can then send you the link for the Live Phone Call that you have requested.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That sounds fine for the timer but how do I set it to manual when it is absolutely not working? Secondly what about the ignition and the oven?
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi Have you done the tests?
The first procedure would be to see if the clock is defective... Without being set to manual the oven will not work. Can you post an image of the rear of the timer? If you test across the two terminals of the spark generator you can see if when you push the ignition button you get a reading.. If yes then the generator needs changing; If no, then we need to trace that fault too.
Hi Dave, are we any further into this yet? regardsGeorge
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not been able to try what you said yet. When I do I will let you know.
Ok Dave.. I will await your response. regardsGeorge