Kelly
Kelly, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Technician with over 30 years of experience.
11418111

My oven keeps overheating until it gets so hot that it shuts down.

Customer Question

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
AKZM656/ix 852565638003
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thank you! You will need to replace the power board as it is not shutting off the power to the elements when it should be. That part is available below. CLICK HERE Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help! Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wow..thats expensive. I assumed that it was a thermostat failing. You are confident that it's this power board ?. Where in the oven will I find this as I have been unable to get my hands on a service manual :(
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
There is no thermostat, this is an electronic control range. There is a sensor in the oven that may be contributing but it should go into a fault mode before the safety opens. What does the display do, does it read correct temperature as it climbs?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I set the temperature and see the progress bar move until I presume the correct temp is reached and the oven beeps. If I leav it running for awhile after the beep and then switch off the display then shows it's current temperature which is higher than the requested temp..the longer I wait after the beep the higher the temp.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
So, the displayed temperature does indeed go up as the temperature climbs?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, it doesn't actually show the temperature, just an indication of how far it has got reaching the requested temp
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It only display an actual temp when the oven has been switched off and the inside temp is above 50..
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Sure, but it shows the temp as higher when you shut it off, so the sensor is working. That means that the relay board is keeping the elements energized beyond what it should. That board is mounted under the top or on the back of the oven once the access panel has been removed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In which case I think I have found it.
I'd say it's been worth the £20..I was trying to get a company who do a fixed fee of 119 which would have made it slightly cheaper than me buying a new board but they cant send anyone for 2 weeks so if I can the board delivered tomorrow we are in business :)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In your opinion is this a manufacturing/design issue or just one of those things ?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
I am not a fan of those boards, they are susceptible to heat damage and are high failure, especially if you use a pyrolytic cleaning setting.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I;m asking because this oven was not cheap and is less than 5 yrs old and I would have hoped it would have lasted longer
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
I agree, all of the electronics in modern appliance greatly shorten the trouble free life expectancy!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced the part you suggested, now I get F3 error, Oven Failure - could the replacement part be faulty ?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
The F03 is indicative of a control failure. Did you have the appliance unplugged when installing it so no shorts or anything electrically?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All unplugged. I have been having a look on the Internet and some sites suggested that F3 means the temperature sensor has failed. I think you originally said that it might contributing to the fault
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is the site I found the information on the error code : http://www.appliancepartspros.com/repair-help/whirlpool-fault-codes.html
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
That is for US made Whirlpool products. For UK products, the F3 means that the control is not configured, see the attached sheet.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok..well the oven was not plugged into the mains when the board was installed. Where do I go from here..return the board as possibly faulty ?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
I would call the supplier and see if they have had other issues with that part and request a replacement. I don't see any updates from the manufacturer but often times the parts distributors get them before it is released to the technical site.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok...I was so looking forward to steak and chips tomorrow night lol
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
BBQ!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah, right ! :). Ok, I am contacting the supplier right now - asking for a replacement board. Hopefully that's all it is
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Okay, keep me posted!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Virtually everyone is out of stock of this item and quoting 14-28 days to get another in. I'm trying a local company to see if they can do better. In the mean time, on a similar site to this I saw that people were having to `program' the power unit for their particular oven. I am familiar with replacing system boards in laptops and desktops and having to `brand' a new board with the serial number of the original chassis - is there a similar process for these units ?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
I am not aware of it needing to be programmed, it should come programmed unless sold as unconfigured. I don't see anything in the tech info, either. So, I am not 100% sure either way.