Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

I have a new SMEG Pop up Kitchen Extractor with 6m of horizontal

Customer Question

I have a new SMEG Pop up Kitchen Extractor with 6m of horizontal pipe and then 3m of vertical duct. I was advised to buy a Silavent Polypipe in-line extractor. I want to get the Silavent kicking in when the SMEG Fan runs. I have seen that LUX1 contacts in the SMEG Box has 240v ON when the SMEG fan runs so can I either connect the Silavent to that connection (Silavent needs 54-76Watts so only 3 Amp ?!) or maybe fit a relay to operate through that voltage ?
thanks
Expert:  Michael replied 8 months ago.
Hi good day,You are correct. that woudl be the best way to do this so that the fan power is supplied by its own line of power but that connection will only be triggered by the main unit when it powers the fan you already have in the unit;-)Its pretty easy to do and a simple circuit.Basically all you need is a relay type (SPST) for this, so you are really only grabbing the hot wires power turn on the relay. All you do is hook into that power line the one that runs the power to the internal fan in your system. That will turn on and off the relay when the fan is running. then you simply supply one of the Normally open contacts with power and the other connector of the relay goes to the additional fan.I will help. you get everything you need once you decide on a fan for this.In any case, I will stick with you until this is complete.Please rate my service thus far.Also it is the only way I am credited for my time and expertise with you.Once you rate, I will be notified and will add your question to my priority list so you can reach me anytime until this problem is solved.Then you can reach me by simply replying to this message anytime.Thank you and have a great day!Tech Michael
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi Michael, you havent told me if the output on the board will handle the additional power drawn by the relay ?! That is what i wanted to know. All the info you told me I knew already. I was hoping that you may be a SMEG Technician and know that the extra relay (or the inline fan at 3A) could be driven by LUX1 and not blow the board up !
Expert:  Michael replied 8 months ago.
Hi, Oh sorry, lol, no the way you will wire this, is you will run a separate power lead to the motor and the relay contact. But you will only be powering the RELAY from the original fan supply if that makes sense, so that should answer your question. If you would like I can call you to hwo to wire this. But yes the existing system can more than handle the additional power draw because its NOT powering the new fan, only the relay. And the relay is powering the fan with a separate line of power to the Normally open contact ;-)Does that help?Tech Mike
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
You havent really told me anything I didnt know !? I am an Electrician and know all about wiring relays etc - Sorry but i cannot give you a rating as you have not advised me if the Smeg unit can run the FAN ?
i will have to ask Just Answer for my money back
Expert:  Michael replied 8 months ago.
Hi, yes you can run the additional extractor fan from that unit. But the correct way to do it is to do it the way I mentioned.But if you mean, does it have a connection for the separate extractor fan no it doesn't. You will need to do a tiny bit of wiring to do this correctly so there will be no tax on the main units power, but you can steal the power from the main supply to the additional main unit.In any case, I will stick with you until this is complete.Please rate my service thus far.Also it is the only way I am credited for my time and expertise with you.Once you rate, I will be notified and will add your question to my priority list so you can reach me anytime until this problem is solved.Then you can reach me by simply replying to this message anytime.Thank you and have a great day!I wil help you anyway I can I am also an electrician and electronics technician so I am sure of what I told you.Tech Michael