George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

I have a Hotpoint freezer model FZ175 It's around seven

I have a Hotpoint freezer model FZ175 It’s around seven years old.
Recently ice has started forming on the back panel (making it difficult to push the draws all the way back) it looks like water is coming from the fan cover above and freezing on the back wall between the second and third draw down also the third draw seems to be collecting a lot of water due to the amount of ice forming in the bottom.. It has a fan at the top I have not noticed this working for a long time apart from this at seems to be working ok although when I press the fast freeze button nothing seems to happen.
The temperature is a constant minus 20 deg c do I repair or replace
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 1 year ago.
Are there any gaps in the seal around the door?Can the door be closed properly?Is the compressor running constantly?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi George
Thank you for replying
Regarding the door seal it seems ok when the door is opened then closed its difficult to open again for a short time due to the vacuum it’s created inside.
If I put something small like a fork handle between the seal it opens with no effort at all so I am satisfied the door seal is ok do you agree?
Regarding the compressor just checked it and it’s not running so turned the stat up and it started
Can you tell me how far up the rear panel the ice forms Geoff
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The freezer has 6 large draws and one small at the top. The ice is forming in the centre of the back panel near what looks like a thermostat behind the first large draw from the top and forming in the base of the second draw.
Sorry I'm so late getting back.. Inside the base of the second drawer will be from water ingress into the drawer... On the back panel could be one of a couple of things:1. There is a blockage in the drain at the rear of the back panel inside the freezer.2. There is a blockage in the vents at the rear of the back panel inside the freezer.3. There is a shortage of refrigerant I agree that by what you have described, the seal of the door is ok. Please rate the assistance given by me
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi George
We seem to be thinking on the same lines that’s why I am in the process of emptying the freezer contents so I can remove the back and top panels to access the evaporator and check for a blockage in the water drain pipe.
When should the fan cut in on the evaporator as I have not noticed it work for a long time even if I turn the stat up to maximum setting the fan still won’t start?
Do you think the auto defrost heater is ok based on the information I have provided? Regarding the shortage of refrigerant wont the compressor be running all the time as it’s struggling to reach the temp set point.
Can't tell just from what you have said... Do the following for me.. 1. Turn the freezer temperature control knob to the minimum setting (appliance OFF position).2. Push and hold the Super Freeze button in until all three LED lamps illuminate at the same time. (The LED lamps will extinguish after 5 seconds.)This will test the Compressor, Evaporator Fan, Heaters, Sensors and if a fault is found the console LED lamps will determine the actual fault code.(NOTE** The defrost and gutter heaters are connected in parallel. 'Auto-test' only checks for a circuit, therefore provided only 1 of the heaters is okay the 'Auto-test' will not detect a failure.To be sure that all heaters are in order, their resistance must be checked with a test meter individually.WARNING: When checking the heaters with a test meter it must be undertaken with the appliance disconnected (unplugged from the electrical supply).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi George
Tested as you requested
Turned the temperature knob down to off position
Pressed and held in the Super freeze button for 5 seconds.
The super freeze light and the warning light came on straight away
After about 5 seconds the two lights went off leaving the green mains on light illuminated then the evaporator fan came on, when temp control was turned back up the fan stopped
You need to run the test again, but then don't touch the controls until the end of the test. 5 mins or so... When it has finished, either the Power light will light green as normal, otherwise you will get a few flashing lights.. Let me Knop what happens
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ran the test again
Turned down the stat to off position pressed fast freeze button until all three led’s on then released after about 5 seconds the fast freeze led and the low temp led went off then the fan started and ran for about 3 min then stopped
The green led was on all the time and never went off during the test. After 10 min turned the stat up 50% then the compressor started.
Ok, that tells me that all parts are working.. with the possibility of either of the heaters being broken. You'll need to test both heaters is still necessary, as if one of the heaters is still working then the other will not show a failure.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK
When the contents of the freezer is empty I will test the two heaters
Are both heaters at the top near the evaporator or behind the back panel?
Are we sure it’s not the drain pipe blockage as water /ice is forming just below the evaporator.
I would test both and also check the drain as I have previously stated... If the drip tray heater is not working then ice will form inside the tube rendering a blockage. It is time to ask you to rate the assistance given so far
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks George
I will check it out as soon as the freezer is empty.
Please use the Star System provide for rating assistance
Also, when you are testing the heaters, you should be looking for the following resistances:Evaporator Defrost Heater 302.5 ΩDrip Tray Heater 1.21 KΩ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you want me to inform you when I have got to the cause of the problem?
Yes please.. Would be nice.
Experience: A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair