George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

My Zanussi cooker suddenly had no electrical power yesterday.

My Zanussi cooker suddenly had no electrical power yesterday. The fuse at the spur switch had blown so I replaced it. I now have power to the connections at the back of the cooker but nothing else. Model number is ***** LPG
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell me the product code of the appliance please Keith.. There are 10 versions of that model number. regardsGeorge
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
###-##-####
and the two numbers that follow it after the /
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
00
When you say you have power to the connections.. what did you use to test for power?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A Rapitest power tester with pos & neg probes. With positive probe on the positive connection and neg to neg = nothing, pos probe to pos connection and neg probe to earth = power.
Then Keith, you have a problem with the cable supplying the appliance, or more likely, a problem with the connection in the wall socket or at the isolator switch on the wall. The probes should go pos to positive and neg to neutral and you should get 240vac .. If you are getting a positive when you are touching neg to earth then this infers that the neutral is missing.. The most common cause of this is that the connection point or the Mains Isolation Switch are burnt out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, thanks. At least I know where to look now.
Did you find the problem Keith?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello George, no I haven't found what is causing the problem yet.
Yesterday, I found that the supply gets as far as the low level socket from the fused spur but no further.
I replaced the cooker lead and everything worked OK until my wife turned on the main oven to cook last night, it then blew the fuse again.
This morning I made up another new cooker lead and plugged it into another socket. switched on and then turned on the main oven. There was a pop from inside the oven and the fuse had blown again.
This is a fully gas oven is it not?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, with electric ignition and an oven light in the main oven ( where the problem seems to be.
Ok... first of all... Turn off the power and remove the bulb.Check to see if there is still a problem If there is still a problem you will need to take off the rear panel and check the interference capacitor for damage.. If there is still a problem, temporarily remove the power from the cooling fan assembly and check if the appliance then works without tripping. Below is a diagram showing those parts.. I would appreciate a rating for my assistance so far at this point. Use the Star System to Rate the assistance give.. but feel free to return to ask for further advice if needed. regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No fan in lower oven.
No.. The cooling fan is a cavity fan.. you can see it in the image at the very top.. This is at the fop of the appliance under the top cover
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Removing the bulb seems to have solved it, does that just mean replacing the bulb or does it indicate something else?
Replacing the bulb should solve the problem unless the holder has been damaged. Glad you have it sorted with much cost, and that the initial mains power problem was sorted without to much need for indepth wiring. kindest regards
Experience: A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks very much George.
You are very welcome Keith..